“There are no such things as limits to growth, because there are no limits on the human capacity for intelligence, imagination and wonder.”     Ronald Reagan

May 17, 2007

The Attack Machine Goes After Ron Paul

I’ve got my criticisms of Ron Paul, and I’ve said more than once here that I don’t think he has a chance of winning either a single primary or the nomination, but when I see crap like this it really gets me angry:

For all those getting really excited about anti-war, libertarian Republican Ron Paul, it’s worth noting that he’s pretty racist and also an anti-Semite.

The basis for this scurrilous allegation ?

A Houston Chronicle story from 1996:

Texas congressional candidate Ron Paul’s 1992 political newsletter highlighted portrayals of blacks as inclined toward crime and lacking sense about top political issues.

Under the headline of “Terrorist Update,” for instance, Paul reported on gang crime in Los Angeles and commented, “If you have ever been robbed by a black teen-aged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be.”

Paul, a Republican obstetrician from Surfside, said Wednesday he opposes racism and that his written commentaries about blacks came in the context of “current events and statistical reports of the time.”

Selected writings by Paul were distributed Wednesday by the campaign of his Democratic opponent, Austin lawyer Charles “Lefty” Morris.

This is the best you can come up with ? Give me a break.

Update: As it turns out, and as pointed out in a comment to this post, Congressman Paul has already commented on this:

When I ask him why, he pauses for a moment, then says, “I could never say this in the campaign, but those words weren’t really written by me. It wasn’t my language at all. Other people help me with my newsletter as I travel around. I think the one on Barbara Jordan was the saddest thing, because Barbara and I served together and actually she was a delightful lady.” Paul says that item ended up there because “we wanted to do something on affirmative action, and it ended up in the newsletter and became personalized. I never personalize anything.”

His reasons for keeping this a secret are harder to understand: “They were never my words, but I had some moral responsibility for them . . . I actually really wanted to try to explain that it doesn’t come from me directly, but they campaign aides said that’s too confusing. ‘It appeared in your letter and your name was on that letter and therefore you have to live with it.’” It is a measure of his stubbornness, determination, and ultimately his contrarian nature that, until this surprising volte-face in our interview, he had never shared this secret. It seems, in retrospect, that it would have been far, far easier to have told the truth at the time.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

H/T: Andrew Sullivan

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2007/05/17/the-attack-machine-goes-after-ron-paul/trackback/

1. Please call these organizations and let them know that you do not want Ron Paul’s voice silenced.

GOPAC
    202.464.570

RNC
    202.863.8500

(If not Ron Paul, then who. I have to pick from the field of candidates in front of me. So if not Ron Paul, then who?)

Comment by Alexjonesfan — May 17, 2007 @ 2:25 pm
  2. I take these attacks as a positive sign that Dr. Paul’s message is getting out and people are understanding it and liking it.
    It’s insulting that channels like FoxNews think people are so dumb as to believe their ‘version’ of reality.
    The internet is the last free press… makes sense Dr. Paul is doing so well on the internet.

Comment by Torchbearer — May 17, 2007 @ 2:41 pm
  3. DEBUNKED — those comments were written by a staffer. Paul fired him. See here: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=377205

TEXAS MONTHLY:
    ———–
    What made the statements in the publication even more puzzling was that, in four terms as a U. S. congressman and one presidential race, Paul had never uttered anything remotely like this.

Comment by fred jones — May 17, 2007 @ 2:58 pm
  4. Were those comments written by Dondero? No wai, the comments aren’t nearly filthy enough.

lollerskates….

Comment by Chris — May 17, 2007 @ 3:18 pm
  5. THANKS!! I knew this was bullshit smear tactics. I appreciate you guys making this explanation available.

Ron Paul is in many ways the LEAST racist politician in the country. He’s the only one that says all people should be treated the same. How much more can you agree with Martin Luther King, Jr.? Also a doctor.

Thanks again guys.

Also, I hope your adding to the growing voice of outrage against the GOP attempt to block Paul from future debates.

-Chad

Comment by chad — May 17, 2007 @ 5:25 pm
  6. People are upset about Michigan Republican Party Chairman Saul Anuzis’ call for Paul to be excluded from the debates. I read this post on studentsforpaul.org:

“I just spoke with a friend who knows the people who work in the Michigan GOP office. He said the office “can’t handle the volume” and “don’t know what to do”. Saul Anuzis’s blackberry is flooded with messages, his voicemail is already full, and Ron Paul supporters are starting to find new phone numbers to reach him.

They are totally freaked out. He told me “they decided to stop answering the phones for the rest of the day because right when they hung up with one Ron Paul supporter the phone started to ring with the next. They couldn’t get any work done”. And “Saul has turned off his blackberry because he couldn’t handle the overload”.

He kept telling me how surprised they were at the amount of people calling and emailing. They didn’t know what was going on or who was behind it all. Total shock.

Let’s not let this one die. More phone calls and messages tomorrow. Keep the discussion going at the Facebook group.”

So I went to MIGOP’s site and clicked the CONTACT THE GOP link. It brings up a 404 error, Page Cannot Be Displayed. LAWL. They took it down because they couldn’t handle the volume. It appears as if Paul’s supporter’s effectively shut his office down for the day.

Comment by Chris — May 17, 2007 @ 7:01 pm
  7. [...] In the interest of fairness, a reader, Chris, links to Ron Paul’s explanation (quoted in the comments at # 2). As I say in my first comment below, though, his explanation really [...]

Pingback by Bring it On! » Blog Archive » I would like to see these quotes in context before passing judgement — May 17, 2007 @ 7:17 pm
  8. Dondero has been posting everywhere for years he’s “former senior aide to Representative Ron Paul,” as if that’s the thumb to some kind of political status or personal legacy for his lips.

If he can stop blogging & self-googling his own name long enough to get off the computer for a few minutes, maybe we’d take his quixotic “campaign” attempt seriously. But most likely no, not even then.

Let’s ask Dondero right here in this blog if he had anything to do with the aide that told Paul, “he had to live with it,” I’m sure we’ll get a response in 60 seconds or less when Dondero types up “Ron Paul, Dondero” & sees a new post since he last searched those words 2 minutes ago…

Obviously it’ll be laced with the infant tirade & “tough guy” profanity of his fists-first hero “Libertarian” Benito Guliani, but we can ignore that as we ignore 99.999% of what he says. Let’s all admit it, all we really want to see are the words at the end of his post, “Ron Paul” & “FORMER aide” & that’ll be a pretty enjoyable day for most of us.

Comment by Tim — May 17, 2007 @ 7:50 pm
  9. If anybody wants to talk about race and racism in America, let’s talk about this country’s appalling method of modern apartheid: the so-called War on Drugs.

Dr. Paul is the ONLY man running for president who would end this racist war immediately.

Comment by Chuck — May 17, 2007 @ 10:26 pm
  10. See also:

Rudy Giuliani vs. Ron Paul II

The Ron Paul Internet Dilemma

Comment by Alex Hammer — May 18, 2007 @ 8:22 am
  11. [...] because of his remarks, this may be a Pyrrhic victory for Dr. Paul. He is now under attack by conservative pundits and members of his own [...]

Pingback by Going to War for Dr. No « Second Choices — May 18, 2007 @ 8:58 am
  12. Hello,

I’d love to respond to your comments, and clear up the record, but as you all know I’ve been officially banned from this List.

Eric Dondero

(Apologies to Doug Mataconis and the other Editors here for this one single posting. I do recognize and fully support your private property rights and right to ban me. For old times sake, I hope you will excuse this one lapse. Thank you)

Dondero, you just have to follow the rules and you’re more than welcome to post here, if you follow our rules.–the Contributors

Comment by Eric Dondero — May 18, 2007 @ 11:30 am
  13. If we are to bring the dirty laundry out (and I don’t believe those remarks about Ron paul)let’s talk about rudi..How much money has he made off of the “9/11″ story?…Blood money! oh, lil” rudi cares about people!..lol like how he cares about the people of New York city, the firefighters, the police and the people who now are sick and dieing! We expect a dirty campaign because Ron Paul Is bringing the voice of the people to the world! Put the doctor in the house! Vote Ron Paul

Comment by Stephen — May 22, 2007 @ 3:21 pm