“You don't have to buy from anyone. You don't have to work at any particular job. You don't have to participate in any given relationship. You can choose.”     Harry Browne

June 1, 2007

The Woman Who Refuses to Submit

by Stephen Littau

Cross-posted here at Fearless Philosophy for Free Minds

Ayaan Hirsi Ali is one brave woman who refuses to submit to Islam. Ali grew up in a devout Muslim home in Somalia and witnessed the brutal treatment of women first hand. When her father arranged a marriage to a complete stranger to whom she would be required by Islamic tradition to obey his every command, Ali refused. Ali moved to Holland to pursue her own dreams (an act is strictly forbidden by the Koran).

After some time outside of Islamic culture and after the events of September 11, 2001, Ali rejected her religion of Islam in favor of reason (she is now an atheist). Since that time Ali has worked, at great personal risk, to educate the West of Islam’s subjugation of women and confront the politically correct Western media for its apologetic approach to her former religion.

In 2004, Ali co-produced a short movie with Theo Van Gogh entitled Submission to bring attention to the plight of women in the Islamic world. On November 2, 2004, Theo Van Gogh was murdered by a Muslim man who took offense to the blasphemous film. A note was found on Van Gogh’s body warning that Ali would be next.

Ali now lives under the protection of body guards in the U.S. but continues to speak out for the women who are victims of Islamic society. In April, her book Infidel hit the shelves (I just picked up the book myself; very fascinating what I have read so far).

The first of the 2 videos is a short interview with Ali where she explains the message she was trying to get across in Submission. The second video is the movie itself (Be patient, the video begins in Arabic with some non-English subtitles but the dialogue from that point on is mostly English).

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2007/06/01/the-woman-who-refuses-to-submit/trackback/

1. The world needs more people like Ayaan. I really don’t understand why she is considered so controversial.

Comment by Rhys — June 1, 2007 @ 11:35 pm
  2. Because she lied about her history and she now works for the neocon, American Enterprise Institute.

Comment by C Bowen — June 2, 2007 @ 7:50 am
  3. C.Bowen
    Enlighten me.

Comment by VRB — June 2, 2007 @ 9:59 am
  4. Bowen, Neocon is a meaningless term. In what way is she a neocon? Because she thinks Islam is a threat to liberty? Because she fears Islam is going to take over otherwise free nations such as Holland?

Comment by Stephen Littau — June 2, 2007 @ 2:16 pm
  5. Bowen is referring to Hirsi Ali supposedly lying about her name when asking for asylum in The Netherlands. But in the end it was determined she used her name as acceptable in her country of birth, and she was cleared from all charges in The Netherlands. This is the part of the story people like Bowen don’t include.

Comment by Eric — June 2, 2007 @ 9:15 pm
  6. If she was lying, it was to escape oppression. If I was in that situation, I think I would lie too.

Comment by Stephen Littau — June 2, 2007 @ 11:12 pm
  7. Lots here to respond to, and my apoligies on the delay, though I am sure each of you spent some time on Google to answer your own questions and its up to you whether to get sucked into another AEI scam–fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Stephen, if neocon is meaningless term to you, my apologies. The term is applied to the parasites of the American Movement Conservatives. In the present case, like this gal, its about urging mass murder of the Iranian state.

Seriously, how many of you believed Iraq had WMDs or had something to do with 9.11 like the folks at AEI, just to juxtapose with this conversation?

She lied to get asylum and into a Western Welfare State where she could permantently be employed with a high salary by the state.

Only on this site will I find “libertarians” gushing over a gubmint paper shuffler. Too funny.

I have no love for Islam, but this gal is a con-artist. She admitted she lied on her asylum application, Eric’s AEI press release not withstanding. She’ll say whatever she’s paid to say.

Comment by C Bowen — June 3, 2007 @ 6:41 pm