Rudy Giuliani’s Meaningless And Anti-Liberty “12 Commitments”
Rudy Giuliani has released what appears to be his campaign platform and he does God himself one better by replacing the Ten Commandments with the Twelve Commitments:
1. I will keep America on offense in the Terroristsâ€™ War on Us.
Umm, okay. A terribly bland statement if I’ve ever seen one.
Sort of like someone running for President in 1944 saying “I’m against the Nazi’s.”
The question, Rudy, isn’t whether you’d be on the offense or not, but whether you think it makes sense to expend precious military resources on useless causes while we let the true enemy in the War on Islamofascism escape to safety.
The other question is whether you are willing to sacrifice the Constitution to achieve Goal # 1.
2. I will end illegal immigration, secure our borders, and identify every non-citizen in our nation.
By even the most conservative estimates, there are 20 million undocumented immigrants in this country, many of whom have had children who are citizens under the 14th Amendment. They build our houses and clean our office buildings, and do many other jobs that many Americans simply wouldn’t do. Kicking them out of the country isn’t going to happen. And, quite frankly, keeping them out isn’t either unless you turn America into a police state.
3. I will restore fiscal discipline and cut wasteful Washington spending.
Okay Rudy, did you just photocopy this one from the George W. Bush playbook ? Because he said the same thing in 2000 and 2004, and reality turned out to be far, far different.
More importantly, though, what do you consider wasteful ? And what would you do to combat the earmarks that Congressman and Senators seem to slip into ever bill that makes it’s way from Capitol Hill to the White House ?
4. I will cut taxes and reform the tax code.
Yawn. Every Republican since Ronald Reagan has said it, and Reagan was the only one who actually carried through with it. What reforms are you talking about Rudy ? Do you support a flat tax ? What about Fair Tax ?
5. I will impose accountability on Washington.
Isn’t that what the Constitution is for ?
6. I will lead America towards energy independence.
How ? Will you force us to use ethanol ? Or will you let the market decide ?
7. I will give Americans more control over, and access to, healthcare with affordable and portable free-market solutions.
It sounds nice, but it seems like a different version of the problem that has plagued the health care system for decades now. Thanks to government mandated tax breaks, consumers are completely insulted from price in the health care market. Why worry about how much it costs to go the doctor when you have the sniffles if the insurance company pays for it ? Until someone talks about bringing back real free-market principles to the health care market, I’ll pass on phony solutions like the ones Rudy seems to propose.
8. I will increase adoptions, decrease abortions, and protect the quality of life for our children.
Because I’m the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES and that’s what I want.
Umm, not really Rudy.
9. I will reform the legal system and appoint strict constructionist judges.
Okay, even if we believe you, that takes care of the Federal Courts. What about the states ? Oh, that’s right, you would be the President, not a dictator.
10. I will ensure that every community in America is prepared for terrorist attacks and natural disasters.
Two words. Hurricane Katrina. Five more words. The Atlanta Dude With TB.
Sorry Rudy, but the truth is that there are some things that we just aren’t going to be prepared for at the national level.
That’s why we have states, counties, cities, and towns.
11. I will provide access to a quality education to every child in America by giving real school choice to parents.
And your authority to even do this derives from which portion of the Constitution of the United States ?
12. I will expand Americaâ€™s involvement in the global economy and strengthen our reputation around the world.
Okay, let’s see….we’ve got McDonald’s, KFC, Starbucks and Microsoft involved in pretty much every country in the world outside of North Korea, Iran, and Cuba. I’m not quite sure how much more “involved” we could be.
Unless by “involved” Rudy means, “invading.”
H/T: James Joyner