“In Republics, the great danger is, that the majority may not sufficiently respect the rights of the minority.”     James Madison

June 18, 2007

Monday Open Thread: Reading List Edition

by Brad Warbiany

Alright folks, I’ve got about a billion things going on, so my reading list hasn’t moved much in the last month… But I’ve got a couple things on tap to read, once I get a chance:

Long Way Round – McGregor/Boorman
1776 – McCulloch
Anarchy, State, and Utopia – Nozick
A Leap In The Dark – Ferling
Free To Choose – Friedman

What have you guys read lately, and what do you have on deck?

Permalink || Comments (7) || Categories: Open Thread
TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2007/06/18/monday-open-thread-reading-list-edition/trackback/

1. Read: Radicals for Capitalism (Doherty); Leviathan on the Right (Tanner); The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (Heinlein).

On Tap: Human Action (Von Mises); Man, Economy & State (Rothbard); The Home Bartender’s Guide (Calabrese)

Comment by UCrawford — June 18, 2007 @ 10:45 am
  2. Reading:

Infamous Scribblers (Eric Burns)

Recently Read:

Cradle of Violence (Bourne)
    The Case for Democracy (Sharansky)

On Deck:
    Democracy in America (Tocqueville)
    The FairTax Book (Boortz)

Comment by Adam — June 18, 2007 @ 11:21 am
  3. Right now I am reading “Infidel” by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (the former Muslim woman I wrote about here http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2007/06/01/the-woman-who-refuses-to-submit/ ).

I’m also reading another book that you might be interested in (since you will soon be a father) entitled: “Parenting Beyond Belief: On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids without Religion.” This book has several contributors with several opinions on the subject: Richard Dawkins, Penn Jillette, Julia Sweeney, Dan Barker, Annie Laurie Gaylor, Dr. Donald B. Ardell, and others. The book also contains “point/counterpoint” (that sounds familiar) on various issues concerning raising free thinking children. I’m already finding this book to be a valuable resource.

Comment by Stephen Littau — June 18, 2007 @ 11:35 am
  4. As the token theist of TLP, I’m in the midst of a ‘double feature’ of sorts: I just finished the Confessions of “Saint” Augustine (circa 397 CE), and now I’m knee-deep into Augustine: A New Biography by James J. O’Donnell (2005).

The former was interesting, and the latter has certainly piqued my interest so far. O’Donnell is a good writer, as well as professor of classics and Provost of Georgetown University.

Comment by Robert — June 18, 2007 @ 7:09 pm
  5. After boards, I’ll be reading lots of science fiction. Then its back to blogging regularly. Woohoo!

Comment by Nick — June 18, 2007 @ 7:15 pm
  6. Token?

There’s gotta be at least one more of your kind around here, Robert…

In fact, I’d say it’s more than likely I’m in the minority, not you.

Besides, Nick’s our token… Isn’t he a Buddhist? I think they worship Sanjaya? ;-)

Comment by Brad Warbiany — June 18, 2007 @ 7:19 pm
  7. Just finished ‘The Last Colony’ by John Scalzi. Some say he is the next Heinlein. I wouldn’t go that far but his Sci-fi is good.

Currently reading, ‘Omnipotent Government’ by Ludwig von Mises. (available free on mises.org)

On deck, ‘One is a Crowd’ by Frank Chodorov (also free on mises.org) and ‘Crete: The Battle and the Resistance’ by Antony Beevor.

Comment by tkc — June 19, 2007 @ 5:01 pm