“It is the fundamental theory of all the more recent American law...that the average citizen is half-witted, and hence not to be trusted to either his own devices or his own thoughts.”     H. L. Mencken

June 18, 2007

What’s Next for Michael Nifong?

by Stephen Littau

Over the weekend, Michael Nifong was disbarred from practicing law for committing “intentional prosecutorial misconduct” in his handling of the so-called Duke Lacrosse Rape Case. While this is welcome news, more still needs to be done to right this wrong. The accused players David Evans, Collin Finnerty, and Reade Sieligmann endured a year’s worth of condemnation in the media for a crime they did not commit along with the threat of having their freedom taken away due to this overzealous prosecutor’s actions. As this media spectacle raged on, the families of these young men spent millions on their defense. This begs an important question: does this district attorney or the lying whore who brought the false charges to begin with owe anything to these young men and their families beyond an apology? I contend that Michael Nifong, the City of Durham, the police department, and Crystal Mangum (the afore mentioned lying whore) at the very least owe restitution and punitive compensation to these young men and their families. I would even take it a step further and say that both Nifong and Mangum should do some hard time as well.

The attorneys for the players are in the process of pursuing both criminal and civil action against Nifong. The criminal charge the attorneys want the judge to consider against Nifong is for contempt for lying to the court.

The civil compensation that the players can expect from Nifong will likely not be enough to cover their legal expenses, however. Nifong’s annual salary was $110,000 and reportedly has no other significant investments besides a mutual fund account and retirement account.

Sieligmann’s attorney Jim Cooney was quoted following the Nifong’s disbarment: “I don’t think any of us are done with Mr. Nifong yet.”

I hope Mr. Cooney makes good on this promise and goes after Mangum as well. One thing is for sure, I am not done with Mr. Nifong, the lying whore Crystal Mangum, or this case until justice has been delivered to these young men.

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2007/06/18/what%e2%80%99s-next-for-michael-nifong/trackback/

1. Duke has already settled with the 3 students for an undisclosed amount to preemt any civil action against the university.

Comment by Nick M — June 18, 2007 @ 4:05 pm
  2. Thanks for the tip Nick! I didn’t even get into the University’s role in all of this. I would still like to see Nifong and Mangum get their comupins though.

Comment by Stephen Littau — June 18, 2007 @ 4:33 pm
  3. Damn, I was hoping they’d rape (pun intended) the hell out of the duke administration. Guess not.

Nifong should spend a year in jail for the year of life he wasted of each of these young men. Not just the 3 who were ultimately indicted, but the whole team.

Mangum, don’t even get me started with what I think should happen to her, Jackson, and Sharpton. But it should start with having to do at least a month of penance in front of Dr. King’s grave as they contemplate what they’ve done and how they’ve made a mockery of the civil rights movement.

Comment by Nick — June 18, 2007 @ 7:04 pm
  4. http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-06-18-duke-settlement_N.htm

That’s the link to the USA Today article on the settlement. So, they settled with Duke, looks like they plan to sue Nifong, no word whether they are suing Mangum. What about the “Gang of 88?” I wonder if the settlement with Duke had stipulations that they couldn’t go after the staff that attacked them in the newspaper. Those people are just as contemptuous as Sharpton, Jackson, Mangum, and Nifong.

Comment by Nick M. — June 18, 2007 @ 7:42 pm
  5. Personally I’d like to see the Duke 88 attend sensitivity training to teach them that not only are their stereotypes that white athletes are thugs hurtful products of prejudice and bigotry, but also that their stereotyping created a hostile educational environment for those they wished to discriminate against.

I hope that they learned a valuable lesson about tolerance and prejudice. :)

Comment by tarran — June 18, 2007 @ 8:08 pm
  6. And on top of what Nick and Tarran have said, Duke should reimburse what the parents have paid for their tuition and grant them a full scholarship (or however they want to word it) so that the families do not have to pay another cent towards that school.

After all that, I myself would find it very difficult to stay at that school anyway, but that is just me.

Comment by Aimee — June 19, 2007 @ 10:07 am
  7. “Suggests the question”, not “begs the question”.

And, yes, Nifong and the “exotic dancer” should pay through the nose.

Comment by TJIC — June 19, 2007 @ 6:39 pm
  8. Aimee,
    Would you go to another one of their parties?

Comment by VRB — June 19, 2007 @ 7:55 pm
  9. VRB,

If there were going to be strippers, chances are, women wouldn’t be invited anyway. If it was a party with strippers, then no I wouldn’t go, but that would only be because strippers make me uncomfortable, male or female.

Not quite sure what your question has to do with anything though.

Comment by Aimee — June 20, 2007 @ 12:31 am
  10. VRB,

When I said I would be uncomfortable staying at that school, I meant if I were in the shoes of the accused. If I personally had attended that school, I would not leave if those guys came back. I would not be uncomfortable around them.

Is that what you were getting at in your question?

Comment by Aimee — June 20, 2007 @ 12:33 am