“The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.”     Milton Friedman

September 10, 2007

Ron Paul On 60 Minutes ?

Free Market News is reporting that CBS’s 60 Minutes is working on a profile of Ron Paul for an upcoming episode:

Though Ron Paul campaign officials will not admit it, or even breathe a word about it, media sources confirm that CBS’ 60 Minutes expects to negotiate or film a segment at presidential candidate’s Ron Paul’s Washington office. The producers, and perhaps cameras, arrived there Monday morning, sources said. Ron Paul officials remain mum.

If this is true, it could be a pretty big free media gig for the Paul campaign, and, quite honestly, would probably generate alot more positive reaction than what I think was a pretty pointless and slightly embarressing appearance on The O’Reilly Factor.

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2007/09/10/ron-paul-on-60-minutes/trackback/

1. Indeed, I’m almost as excited for this as I am John Stossel schooling Michael Moore on Friday.

Comment by Brad R — September 10, 2007 @ 10:41 pm
  2. Maybe 60 Minutes will let Ron Paul talk about other issues besides the war.

Comment by js290 — September 11, 2007 @ 12:59 am
  3. Free Market News doesn’t have a good track record. They reported that the Paul campaign raised $5M in the 2nd Q, about a month ago they also reported that by the end of the week a couple of well known names in the conservative movement were going to endorse Paul. A month later those endorsements still haven’t happened. IF it happens its good news, but wait until the campaign makes an announcement before you get excited.

Comment by Bob — September 11, 2007 @ 4:34 am
  4. “what I think was a pretty pointless and slightly embarressing appearance on The O’Reilly Factor.”

Embarrassing? For whom? I would say O’Reilly was his loud, obnoxious, “all-knowing” self — situation normal.

What was embarrassing was the part where O’Reilly said we don’t need a history lesson. Clearly, the neocons don’t believe in causality and can’t be forced to use reason. Everything is blamed on “radical Islam” and not interventionist foreign policy which is always falsely interpreted as “isolationism”. How convenient.

O’Reilly just invited him on the show to yell at him and cut him off mid-sentence. Partisan media is killing this country. O’Reilly, Hannity, and Olberman are the worst offenders.

Comment by GeeDub — September 11, 2007 @ 9:11 am
  5. THE BILL O REALLY INTERVIEW WAS JUST LIKE ALL HIS OTHER INTERVIEW. HE TRIES TO COME OFF AS THE “ONE WHO REALLY KNOWS”. I CANNOT STAND WATCHING A SHOW WHERE THE COMMENTATOR HAS TO TALK OVER TOP OF HIS GUEST. HE ASK A QUESTION AND THEN HE SOMEHOW FEELS HE SHOULD ANSWER HIMSELF. WHY DON’T HE JUST GO INTO BOOK WRITING?

Comment by Valeria — September 11, 2007 @ 9:36 am
  6. How is anyone able to watch O’Reilly?

Comment by Leland Thomas Faegre — September 11, 2007 @ 9:57 am
  7. Yeah, Dr. Paul faired better than average, I think. But yeah, I don’t know what to think about FNN stuff. It seems like they publish hearsay a lot fo the time. But I think Dr. Paul did introduce a new way to approach the problem. It’s not going to work on the hardcore O’Riely viewers who have already been conditioned to believe everything that comes out of his mouth.

Comment by TanGeng — September 11, 2007 @ 10:15 am
  8. Free Market News reports what other sources have said. While they did report the $5 million, it wasn’t them that was claiming it.

Comment by Danny — September 11, 2007 @ 11:10 am
  9. While Bill wasn’t the most cordial host, he did appear to be respectful and allowed Ron to answer his questions, imo. I also thought it was an informative ‘debate’ and put Ron in a positive light. We all can agree that Ron needs more exposure, especially to get his message out among those Republicans that don’t think feel should be in Iraq, and his appearance on the Factor does just that. Being President won’t be a walk in the park for anyone and I don’t have a problem with someone (Bill) throwing a little heat his way.

He did just fine, imo, though the one thing I wish he would have expounded upon was the notion of ‘fearing Iran’ that Bill was trying so hard to get a response out of him about. Ron said he didn’t fear Iran and I agree with him as neither do I. They fear us and that is why they are doing what they do. Iran also knows darn well that if they screw up, they’ll wish they had never crossed us. I get the impression Paul’s a ‘big stick’ kind of guy and doesn’t feel the need to go running around saying “nothing is off the table”. Besides, that tactic isn’t working very well anyway, is it?

Ron is a smart cookie. Let’s pray more peeps come to see what he has to offer. :)

Comment by effodee — September 11, 2007 @ 11:45 am
  10. I know of other sources that picked up the $5M story from FMMN but I believe they were the 1st to run it . If I’m wrong please tell me who ran the story before them.

Comment by Bob — September 11, 2007 @ 11:52 am
  11. I agree Doug, O’Reilly was slightly embarrassing, thanks for pointing that out. RP did great in the interview.

Comment by brody — September 11, 2007 @ 12:58 pm
  12. O’Reilly’s insane agenda speaks for itself. Credit Dr. Paul with trying to reach the most sheepish GOPers by going on FOX and fighting the good fight. Ofcourse he was barely allowed to finish a sentence, but that’s what thugs do to good, honest Americans. Same thing with the recent GOP debates. How anyone of good conscience can not be outraged by the bias shown in the GOP debates is beyond me. If we really want quality people in our government then we need to stop making excuses for the slimy neo-con criminals who have hijacked the GOP. Only Ron Paul has the wisdom and courage to save our country from self-imposed tyranny. May the Constitution live to see another day. Thanks.

Comment by NEC — September 11, 2007 @ 2:31 pm
  13. You can vote for Ron Paul in the Free Market Hall of Fame Poll of legislators and government officials at http://www.freedomfest.com/halloffame

Comment by Ron Holland — September 11, 2007 @ 4:16 pm
  14. Pointless? I am not so sure. The O’Reilley appearance reinforced the FOX infotainment slant, and that it is the propaganda arm of the Neocon movement.

As to embarrassing, only O’Reilly should be embarassed, for himself and the network that would let such an idiot spew his ignorance. Ron showed himself to be cool under fire-not a bad accomplishment.

Comment by Ken Van Doren — September 11, 2007 @ 4:56 pm
  15. Ken, do you also acknowlede that CNN and MSNBC has an “ifnotainment” slant? The Factor is a talkshow (like Dobbs, Oberman, Hannity & Colmes) not a news show. There is a difference. Other than the talkshows on Fox have you noticed a slant on their news shows (i.e. Sheppard Smith)?

Comment by Stephen Littau — September 11, 2007 @ 5:45 pm
  16. “…would probably generate alot more positive reaction…”

First, there is no such word as “alot.” It is two words: a lot. School is free.

I do not trust 60 Minutes for one second to do a fair piece on Ron Paul. They have a long history of being nice to the person’s face and then destroying them via the edits. If I were Dr. Paul I would back away from this piece, even if Leslie Stahl does the interview.

Comment by zenpiper — September 11, 2007 @ 11:20 pm
  17. “First, there is no such word as “alot.” It is two words: a lot. School is free.”

Tut, tut, zenpiper. Let’s not get pedantic. I am the very personification of altiloquence, and I can assure you that dictionaries are descriptive, not normative.

Comment by Chepe Noyon — September 12, 2007 @ 10:11 am