“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”     Robert A. Heinlein,    Time Enough For Love

October 8, 2007

A Little Bit About UCrawford

by UCrawford

I suppose the best way to describe myself would be to say that I have a problem with authority. I’ve always disliked when people told me what to do, even as a young child, and I’ve always preferred to find my own path through life and make my own decisions, even if it occasionally went against the conventional wisdom and sometimes worked to my short-term disadvantage. My dad said I inherited it from him, but that I’ve taken it to a whole new level. When I was young I wanted to be a journalist, until I got to college and realized that journalism was less about the search for objective truth than it was about writing the stories that best suited your employer’s interests, whether they were true or not (which didn’t sit well with me at all). So I drifted aimlessly through a couple of years of college as an indifferent (often drunk) student, unsure of what to do with myself until one of my fraternity brothers gave me a copy of “The Fountainhead” and I got hooked on the ideas that success and a refusal to conform to societal standards were not mutally exclusive, and that the greatest evil in the world was society and government’s failure to recognize or accept individuality and individual freedom as a strength, not a weakness. So I threw myself into studying politics and history, worked in a few political campaigns after college, had some success, and thought about doing a career in politics until I realized that most of the people I knew who had never had a career outside of politics had no comprehension of how the real world actually worked and tended to make a lot of bad, self-absorbed decisions that rarely helped the people they claimed to be representing.

That didn’t sit well with me either, so I decided to put any thoughts of going into politics on hold until I’d actually had a life and possibly a real career, and I spent the next couple of years drifting between a series of random yet educational jobs (debt collector, deliveryman, computer salesman, repo man, dairy worker) that taught me the value of hard work, personal responsibility and the financial benefits of dining at Taco John’s on Tuesday nights (2 tacos for a buck) when money got tight.

After awhile, however, the desire to see the world (and the need for a more consistent and slightly larger paycheck) convinced me to join the Army, where I spent ten years traveling around the world on the government dime working as an intelligence analyst. I generally enjoyed my time in the military, despite the aforementioned problem with authority (which wasn’t as much of an issue in the military as many people might think it would be), and I got to see that the decisions our political leaders make were sometimes frivolous, often ill-informed, and always had unforeseen repercussions down the road…especially on the soldiers tasked with implementing those decisions. I was fortunate enough to spend most of my 10 years in the military doing jobs I enjoyed, traveling to countries that I always wanted to see (Scotland is the greatest place in the world to hang out, Afghanistan is very underrated) and working with people I liked and respected, until I finally decided that at 35 it was time to move into a job where I didn’t have the threat of relocation lying over my head every two or three years, where I didn’t have to worry about my friends being blown up, and where I didn’t have to work in any capacity for George W. Bush.

I work now for a trust company in Kansas where I’m responsible for overseeing, pricing and maintaining farms, commercial and residential properties, mineral assets, insurance policies, annuities, etc. In my spare time I like to read books on economics, history, and politics (I’m preparing to tackle Murray Rothbard’s “Man, Economy & State” and Von Mises’ “Human Action”…should take me about a year at the rate I’m currently finishing books), watch movies, and destroy posers on “Halo 3″ (where I’m signed in under “UCrawford” for anyone interested in taking a shot at me some time). I used to play rugby until age, inconsistent conditioning, and a string of gradually worsening injuries finally convinced me to quit. I’m a rabid fan of the Kansas Jayhawks in general and their basketball and football programs in particular and I’m also a devoted fan of the Kansas City Chiefs and Royals. I’m also fond of going online and debating/picking fights with people on the merits of the philosophy of individual freedom…sometimes to the point of being an asshole (but hopefully a reasonably well-informed asshole). I’ve been a big fan of The Liberty Papers ever since finding it online, I respect the body of work they’ve put out, and I’m honored that Brad Warbiany invited me to join his jolly band of freedom fighters. So cheers, Brad, and to everyone else I look forward to reaching consensus or locking horns with you in the near future.

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2007/10/08/a-little-bit-about-ucrawford/trackback/

1. [...] head on over and say hello to UCrawford.   [...]

Pingback by Below The Beltway » Blog Archive » Liberty Papers News — October 8, 2007 @ 6:40 am
  2. Hey UCrawford I am a Cornhusker. It looks like your Jayhawks might have a pretty good shot at toppling the Huskers this year. We stink. Pederson, our AD, pretty much came in and destroyed our football program.

Nice to see you as a poster here. While I don’t always agree with you, though many times I do, you usually argue for your position in a fairly reasonable manner.

Comment by TerryP — October 8, 2007 @ 10:00 am
  3. Thanks Terry…we’ll see what happens with the Jayhawks this season, but I think Callahan’s a good coach too and the KU/Nebraska matchup is going to be a tight game. Frankly, I’m just happy to see an end to the 75-10 blowouts I grew up watching. Rivalries are always better when both teams are competitive. Hopefully we can start chipping away at that lead you guys have in the series :)

Comment by UCrawford — October 8, 2007 @ 10:22 am
  4. UC:

I prefer debating well-informed assholes opposed to uninformed assholes any day. I’ve enjoyed debating you here (you challenge me to think through my arguments before posting them) and think you will be a fine addition to The Liberty Papers (though you comment so often, this seems like a mere formality). Welcome aboard!

For those of you who are new to The Liberty Papers, I invited UCrawford to post a guest post about his experiences with the British healthcare system back in August.

Comment by Stephen Littau — October 8, 2007 @ 12:45 pm
  5. [...] Check it out! While looking through the blogosphere we stumbled on an interesting post today.Here’s a quick excerpt a series of random yet educational jobs (debt collector, deliveryman, computer salesman, repo man [...]

Pingback by Computers » A Little Bit About UCrawford — October 8, 2007 @ 2:50 pm
  6. Hello, My name is Tracy Rowe. My husband and I need help. We live in a small town, Petersburg, IN. We own a small tattoo shop here that we opened over two years ago. The local folks are good to us and appreciate having a good, clean place to get tattoos. However, there are some very rightwing “Christians” that think tattoos are sinful. Those people have caused us a heap of trouble. They have been trying to find a way to get us to leave from the begining. They could have just asked, but instead they have used some underhanded legal tricks to try to destroy us. We have been charged with some awful things that we did not do. My husband, Mick Rowe, has two drug charges. We have been searched twice, our children have been drug tested twice, my husband once. They, of course, have all come back negitive. They have found nothing, never seen any drugs on us seen a drug buy or anything.
    They have taken the word of a drug dealer, and a former employee of ours. The former employee was fired, and said he would get revenge for being fired. He has made several claims against us. None, of course he can back up because they are not true. He claims our 19 year old daughter told him she was having sex with my husband. He now has been charged with Incest! The police have never questioned her. They have only the word of a vengeful young man. My husband was arrested and spent 6 weeks in jail awaiting a bond reduction. The only evidence they had solid enough to arrest him was a letter they were given from a woman that has been in trouble many times with the law, that was supposedy written by my husband confessing to the incest. She has since been arrested for forging that letter. The state police went to her home and found it in her computer. She then admitted she wrote it. She has been charged with Obstuction of Justice, Forgery, and giving false information. Yet my husband is still charged. He was released with a bond of $5,000,(it was origonally $100,000) and they put him on house arrest. The woman that my husband checks in with for house arrest says she has never seen anyone treated as unfairly and badly as they do my husband. My daughter still lives with us and, of course, is very upset and angry about these things being said. She is an adult, and if there was something nasty going on she would pack up and leave.
    The local newspaper, we have been told, is behind most of this. They have gone to another business owner near us and told her if she did not stop defending us and supporting us her business would be next. The county Prosecuting Attorney has a big problem with tattooing also and is doing some very mean and illegal things to us. He has been on television many times saying things about us that are not even in our legal documents. We have been told by some people that work with him that he wants to destroy our business so that we can no longer afford to pay our lawyers to fight these charges. He is about to succeed. Anyone that knows us knows that these things are not true, but many people assume that we have closed due to all these charges.
    The boy that we fired was fired for many reasons. One being we found out he was parcially colorblind, he was also saying and doing obcene things in front of customers. That too has hurt our business. He Took one of his little brother’s friends to the police station and had him say that I did some nasty things to him. One would think that boy’s parents would be involved in that, but instead it was the boy we fired. I have been charged with Sexual Misconduct with a Minor, and giving alcohol to a minor. I have heard the deposition from that minor with the Prosecuting Atty. and for the first 29 minutes he denies it. Until the Prosecuting Anny. begins to berate him that his story doesn’t match the story from the guy we fired. He becomes very upset and says, “well, I guess it might have happened.” That boy has been on house arrest for drinking at a house party since then. My lawyer also did a deposition with him that has many differnt stories. We have a letter from his former girlfriend saying he told her it wasn’t true and That the guy we fired made him say it. She also says she was on the phone with him when he says it was happening. All of these charges are unfounded and are hear-say only. The State police will not even get involved.
    My husband and I have never been in any kind of trouble. We have no prior anything! It is quite a crazy smalltown nightmare. We are sure that we cannot be found guilty on any of these charges, because they are all false, and surely the justice system will prevail, but in the mean time we are tring to pay legal fees, living this nightmare. Our lawyer will not go ahead and fight until we can pay him in full. In the mean time the County Prosecuting Attorney has been forced to drop many other charges on other people he has done this same sort of thing to. People keep telling us that this will make a really good movie. It is hard to beleive that two people that have no prior record, have been church going people all their lives, and worked in the Christian ministry in some way or another for many years can be treated this way in The United States. We have the items to prove we are innocent!

Comment by Tracy — October 12, 2007 @ 10:39 pm
  7. Yeah, well, good luck with that.

Comment by UCrawford — October 12, 2007 @ 11:07 pm