“At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people.”     Robert A. Heinlein,    The Number of the Beast

October 18, 2007

Ron Paul: Still Running For Congress

An interesting article came through the aggregator today. It seems Ron Paul is having even more fundraising success that we realized, in his campaign for re-election to Congress:

FRIENDSWOOD — U.S. Rep. Ron Paul raised more than six times the money for his re-election campaign this quarter than his primary challenger, Friendswood city councilman Chris Peden.

The four-term congressman for District 14 also ended the quarter with nearly $80,000 in the bank, compared with Peden’s diminutive balance, reported at less than $400.

Peden said he’s gone against the advice of consultants who told him to put his own savings in the account to make his campaign seem more serious.

“If my message isn’t credible, I don’t think it matters what my finances say,” he said. “I’ve been doing a lot of work getting that message out.”

Peden reported receiving $8,654 in contributions between June 30 and Sept. 30, $3,617 of which were personal loans. Paul’s campaign reported raising $53,030.40 in that time.

(…)

Paul’s congressional re-election spokesman, Mark Elam, said fundraising efforts were focused on the presidential races right now.

This really shouldn’t be a surprise, of course. Paul is obviously playing it safe here; if he doesn’t get the GOP nomination, he still has a Congressional seat to think about and, based on this report, it would seem that he is interested in returning to Congress if the Presidential campaign doesn’t work out.

And, if that happens, he’d be returning with a lot more national name recognition than he had before.

In other news from Texas, it seems an old “friend” of The Liberty Papers isn’t running for Paul’s seat after all:

Former Paul aide Eric Dondero, who previously said he would challenge Paul in the primary, endorsed Peden. League City resident Andy Mann also announced plans to run in the primary, but did not file a report.

Too bad, that might’ve actually been a fun primary to watch.

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2007/10/18/ron-paul-still-running-for-congress/trackback/

1. Peden has a lot more support than his financial report suggests. He is smart, agressive and a tireless campaigner. It’s still very early.

Comment by Francis Baken — October 18, 2007 @ 8:27 am
  2. I laugh every time I see the name Eric Dondero. Hey Eric, how’s your campaign for congress going? ;)

Comment by GeneG — October 18, 2007 @ 8:33 am
  3. Apparently it takes less cash than I thought to run for Congress. Interesting.

Comment by Curtis — October 18, 2007 @ 8:44 am
  4. Curtis, you have to remember that’s all money from one district… proportionally, it’s a lot.

Comment by Ryan — October 18, 2007 @ 11:05 am
  5. Personally, I wish Ron Paul would announce that he’s going all in for the presidency, and give up his House seat. I can understand him waiting until he hits 10% in the polls, though, or finishes in the top 3 in Iowa, Nevada, and New Hampshire.

Dropping his House bid could also be seen as a sign that he is planning a third-party run at the presidency, so there might be strategic reasons for staying in. But how does the local paper call a 10-term Congressman a 4-term Congressman? Yikes.

As for Mr. Dondero, I heard (in all seriousness) that he was missing in Mexico after a vacation, but I can’t vouch for the reliability of the source. Has anyone heard more?

Comment by Craig — October 18, 2007 @ 11:19 am
  6. [...] came across this post – Ron Paul: Still Running For Congress – and thought it was worth sharing. I hope you find it interesting too and take the time to read [...]

Pingback by online bill pay » Ron Paul: Still Running For Congress — October 18, 2007 @ 11:27 am
  7. Personally, I wish Ron Paul would announce that he’s going all in for the presidency, and give up his House seat.

No, if this doesn’t work out, the House seat gives him a platform from which to keep speaking. With his newfound name recognition, he can lead the movement for a few more terms and then pass the torch.

While giving up his seat might have a slight benefit in the short term, it’s not worth putting the entire movement at risk.

Comment by Jeff Molby — October 18, 2007 @ 11:49 am
  8. If Peden can’t scratch $100,000 together over one reporting period, he’s toast in a congressional race.

Paul raised $2m to unseat the encumbant in 1996. Sklar raised $250k and couldn’t beat him. I’d say to Peden, “Go back to City Hall, the people don’t like your message of more war and rhetoric.”

And don’t worry. Eric goes to Mexico every year. He has a friend that he visits.

Comment by the oak — October 18, 2007 @ 2:58 pm
  9. I laugh every time I see the name Eric Dondero. Hey Eric, how’s your campaign for congress going? ;)

My understand is that Dondero dropped out of the race some time ago.

Then there was the “missing in Mexico” story, which apparently has resolved itself.

Comment by Doug Mataconis — October 18, 2007 @ 5:40 pm