“Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.”     Thomas Jefferson

January 14, 2008

In Britain, Your Body Belongs To The State

The British government is in the process of turning it’s citizen’s bodies into harvesting sources:

LONDON — Prime Minister Gordon Brown yesterday threw his weight behind a move to allow hospitals to remove organs from dead patients without explicit consent.

Writing in the Sunday Telegraph, Mr. Brown said such a move would save thousands of lives and that he hopes such a system can start this year.

The proposals would mean consent for organ donation after death would be automatically presumed, unless individuals had opted out of a national register or family members objected.

But patients’ groups said they are “totally opposed” to Mr. Brown’s plan, arguing it would take away patients’ rights over their own bodies.

To say the least.

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2008/01/14/in-britain-your-body-belongs-to-the-state/trackback/

1. Rights over their own bodies? They don’t have rights over their own bodies in Britain (at least not when they go to the NHS). They’re socialists who’ve voted Labour for over a decade so they’ve chosen to be slaves.

They’re honestly shocked that the government has the right to steal organs from peoples’ bodies when the government-run health care system has openly admitted that they starve patients?

Comment by UCrawford — January 14, 2008 @ 8:43 am
  2. They’re already dead they’re not going to need their organs anymore. Who gives a shit? My Body is only mine for As long as I still live in it until then they can feed me to the dogs for all I care.

Comment by A Nonny Moose — January 14, 2008 @ 11:16 am
  3. Once you die, who owns your body? The State? Or your heirs?

Comment by Adam Selene — January 14, 2008 @ 11:18 am
  4. There is a short story by Larry Niven from years ago, which foresaw this coming – “The Jigsaw Man”. It was written in 1967.

Comment by Tom G — January 14, 2008 @ 11:31 am
  5. That’s a shame…if that happens here I’ll be forced to be a non-donor so that I can commit civil disobedience after I’m dead.

Comment by Patrick Henry — January 14, 2008 @ 11:36 am
  6. I think some of you should save your outrage for all those drugs the Pharmacutical companies (Corporations who make deals with and get favors from the Government I will remind you) Keep trying to literally shove down our throats especially our children. If this policy however flawed it may be can help an individual prolong their life with a new organ from an already dead John or Jane Doe let’s say, then where’s the problem?

Comment by A Nonny Moose — January 14, 2008 @ 11:55 am
  7. The problem, of course, is that it is my body. And when I die, it is the property of my heirs. Not the State.

Oh yeah, you want those evil pharma companies to stop making deals with, and getting favors from, the Guvmint? Take power away from the government and that will happen. As long as government controls power and money, there will be corruption in government.

Comment by Adam Selene — January 14, 2008 @ 11:59 am
  8. As so is the case with the corporation. That was my point.

Comment by A Nonny Moose — January 14, 2008 @ 1:26 pm
  9. Adam,

“The problem, of course, is that it is my body. And when I die, it is the property of my heirs. Not the State.”

I think that you mean it “should” be the property of your heirs and not the state. Try selling grandma’s organs after she kicks the bucket and see what the government here has to say about that.

Comment by UCrawford — January 14, 2008 @ 1:33 pm
  10. Adam,

“Oh yeah, you want those evil pharma companies to stop making deals with, and getting favors from, the Guvmint?”

I suspect that Moose is actually more bothered by the fact that corporations do things for profit and act in their own best interests rather than running themselves into bankruptcy by simply giving away their drugs to people who think the world owes them free medical care.

Comment by UCrawford — January 14, 2008 @ 1:38 pm
  11. At least in a democratic country that has universal Health care like Britain, the citizens can hold the government accountable for what goes wrong, You can’t do that here in the states because your fate is decided by Big Whig corporate Executives only interested in “doing things for profit” Now where’s the liberty in that I ask?

Comment by A Nonny Moose — January 14, 2008 @ 2:11 pm
  12. Really? Explain how that works for me Moose.

Comment by Adam Selene — January 14, 2008 @ 2:18 pm
  13. Moose,

“At least in a democratic country that has universal Health care like Britain, the citizens can hold the government accountable for what goes wrong,”

As someone who lived and Britain and had to depend on the NHS for their health care for six years I can truthfully and confidently inform you that is a complete load of horseshit.

But you don’t have to take my word for it. Give the articles on this site a read:

“You can’t do that here in the states because your fate is decided by Big Whig corporate Executives only interested in “doing things for profit””

Considering that the only reason those “Big Whig [sic]” corporate executives are able to create those drugs is because they’re able to profit from them I’m inclined to take their side of the argument…mainly because I’ve seen just how shitty “free” health care is.

Comment by UCrawford — January 14, 2008 @ 2:30 pm
  14. And here’s the article I wrote about my experience with British health care:

Comment by UCrawford — January 14, 2008 @ 2:32 pm
  15. Perhaps you should have moved to France then? ;)

Comment by A Nonny Moose — January 14, 2008 @ 2:36 pm
  16. Moose,

“Perhaps you should have moved to France then? ;)”

Where teenagers were rioting in the streets over the government making it possible for them to be fired by their employers for doing a crappy job? No thanks. :)

Comment by UCrawford — January 14, 2008 @ 2:42 pm
  17. You’ll Forgive me for not being as enlightened on this subject as you are Crawford but speaking as someone who has lived in the United States I can assure you however “shitty” your system may have been what we have is NOT better.

Comment by A Nonny Moose — January 14, 2008 @ 3:07 pm
  18. Moose,

Actually, our system is far better than what they have. The poor may get treatment over there but it’s often horrible treatment that leaves them worse off than if they’d gone into debt for private care or not gone to a doctor at all. The rich are still generally able to buy private health care…but it’s the poor and middle class who end up getting fucked.

But I do agree with you that our system has problems. That’s mainly, however, because we don’t actually have a free-market health care system, we’ve got managed care with rampant government interference which tends to create unfavorable situations for the consumer. The solution to that problem is not, however, to punish private industry for trying to stay profitable, but to reduce overhead (by lessening the government’s involvement) so that the private industries don’t need to gouge us on cost to be able to turn a profit. That’s your best bet for making quality health care affordable for everybody.

Comment by UCrawford — January 14, 2008 @ 3:19 pm
  19. Moose,

And I live here in the States now…I moved back in 2006. So I’ve been able to live under both systems recently to make my value judgment. Trust me, we’re better off than the Brits are. Actually, they were really pissed off about Michael Moore’s film because he so blatantly misrepresented the quality of the NHS to try and make his point about health care here. It’s far worse in Britain than what he showed (especially outside of London). I covered what I saw first-hand in that blog I wrote that I linked to earlier and that was pretty indicative of the quality of health care across Britain (because the hospital I went to was decent by NHS standards).

Comment by UCrawford — January 14, 2008 @ 3:25 pm
  20. The other trap of socialised medicine is that the government then feels they have the right to tell what you can eat, drink and smoke. That idiot MP is trying to get laws passed now forcing diets and controlling pub hours because health care is costing the government too much money.

Comment by Bill — January 16, 2008 @ 8:54 am