“I'm in favor of legalizing drugs. According to my values system, if people want to kill themselves, they have every right to do so. Most of the harm that comes from drugs is because they are illegal.”     Milton Friedman

January 18, 2008

Mike Huckabee vs. The First Amendment

In an interview on NPR, Mike Huckabee said that he wants to outlaw all independent speech in political campaigns:

Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee on Wednesday disavowed the use of a negative campaign tactic known as “push polling” being used on his behalf by an independent group ahead of the South Carolina primary.

Huckabee said he disagreed with the automated phone calls purporting to be part of a survey that instead disparage rival candidates. The “push polling” calls were being made by Colorado-based Common Sense Issues in support of the Huckabee campaign.

“We don’t know who these people are,” the former Arkansas governor told NPR’s Morning Edition. “I personally wish all of this were outlawed. I think that every candidate ought to speak for himself.”

More detail from the radio interview itself:

I personally wish that all of this were outlawed. I think that every candidate ought to speak for himself, and that everything that involves the candidate’s name or another candidate’s name should be authorized and approved by that candidate, otherwise it shouldn’t be spoken . . . The point is that candidates can’t force these special interest 527 groups to stop. I wish we could.

The Club for Growth’s Pat Toomey puts it best:

“Under a Mike Huckabee presidency, no individual or group would be allowed to criticize a politician’s policies without the politician’s approval. Which part of ‘Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech,’ is lost on Governor Huckabee?”

Maybe that’s one of the parts of the Constitution he wants to amend

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2008/01/18/mike-huckabee-vs-the-first-amendment/trackback/

1. Maybe that’s one of the parts of the Constitution he wants to amend

Maybe he could just amend the Constitution to replace all of it with the ten commandments.

Comment by Adam Selene — January 18, 2008 @ 2:23 pm
  2. Sounds to me like there needs to be a McCain-Huckabee ticket.

Comment by mike — January 18, 2008 @ 2:47 pm
  3. mike,

Sounds to me like there needs to be a McCain-Huckabee ticket.

Careful for what you wish for :)

Comment by Kevin — January 18, 2008 @ 4:05 pm
  4. He will make a splendid Pope!

Not a bad idea! Huckabee for president and McCain can take the role of Cheney.

Comment by uhm — January 18, 2008 @ 7:19 pm
  5. Seriously – I haven’t heard this much spin since the last time I listened to a Hilary Clinton speech.

Huckabee makes a good point. A candidate should be represented accurately and fairly.

Aren’t things like defamation of character and slander illegal?

C’mon guys. You know this isn’t a Huckabee attempt to ignore the first amendment, and you know his comments regarding his spiritual beliefs and the constitution have been taken completely out of context. Just in case you forgot, it takes a vote of the people to amend the constitution.

Some folks need to wise up, do their homework, and lay off the kooky kool-aid.

Comment by JonMyers — January 18, 2008 @ 10:28 pm
  6. Oh please. He meant what he said, then fixed it after realizing that wasn’t such a great idea. Aside from that, the amendments he mentions in the second go round are horrible ideas anyway.

Comment by Adam Selene — January 18, 2008 @ 10:32 pm
  7. Jon,

Read what Huckabee said in the post I wrote. He wants to outlaw all non-authorized political speech during a campaign.

Where am I mis-interpreting him ?

Comment by Doug Mataconis — January 19, 2008 @ 6:01 am