“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”     Robert A. Heinlein

February 13, 2008

Ron Paul’s Congressional Seat In Trouble

For the most part, Ron Paul’s constituents have tolerated his more quixotic political views because he’s delivered for the district, now it seems that he might be in trouble:

Troubled by internal polls showing insurgent challenger Chris Peden having pulled ahead shockingly in the Texas 14th congressional district, Congressman Ron Paul will be pulling out of the Republican presidential race in advance of his home state’s March 4 primary, The FDH Lounge blog has learned. This news comes from a source with access to Paul’s congressional campaign and it parallels a recent move on the Democratic side of the White House run as fellow party establishment irritant Dennis Kucinich was forced to abandon his efforts in order to focus on a threat to his congressional seat.

While I ended up not supporting his Presidential run, it would be unfortunate if Ron Paul’s voice was missing from Congress considering how few true fiscal conservatives are left there.

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2008/02/13/ron-pauls-congressional-seat-in-trouble/trackback/

1. This is political sucide for the Republicans. If Ron is pushed out of his house seat he will enter the Presidential race as a 3rd party. Why stay with the Republicans? It is clear they are too far gone down the warmongering, big spending liberal rabbit hole. Republicans FAILED to defend our country on 911 and FAILED to protect our boarders and FAILED to defend our $ from inflation. Ron’s oponet wants to spend more on NASA and the illegal wars and then says he is more conservative? The Libertarians will run Ron on ballots in all 50 states. He is already on the top of most Libertarian polls by huge amounts.
    We can get him in the debates we will send him the money.

Comment by libertynow — February 13, 2008 @ 5:35 am
  2. Now that I think about it, I’m not so sure that it would be such a bad thing if Ron Paul loses TX-14.

It would set him free to become the catalyst for and concentrate his efforts on a more long term campaign to porpetuate the R?VOLUTION at the local levels, which is where it should be fought to begin with in any event.

Comment by Robert E. — February 13, 2008 @ 5:35 am
  3. Robert,

I think what you’re going to see happen is that Ron Paul will end up going back to practice medicine and be less involved with the politics if he loses his race. He’s 70 years old and not enrolled in the Congressional pension plan…that’s close to retirement and the only way he’s able to continue doing this is by holding down a job with a decent paycheck. And his profile would decrease dramatically if he left Congress, which would undermine his marketability as a movement leader. He’s likely not running for President again so if he wants to stay on the scene he needs to win his district.

Comment by UCrawford — February 13, 2008 @ 5:48 am
  4. Yeah, exactly. Ron Paul is dropping out of a race, two days after he made a youtube video to his supporters saying he won’t be dropping out of the race. Because a guy with probably 100% name recognition is threatened by a no name city councilman with probably 5% name recognition, running on a pro-war policy in an anti-war district? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EywYDhPeY8 (4:50)

Comment by David — February 13, 2008 @ 5:56 am
  5. Chris Peden held a rally over the week-end, so did Paul. Paul’s attendence was about 2,000 and Peden’s – about 100. Doesn’t sound like a congressman in trouble to me – just saying….

Comment by Angela — February 13, 2008 @ 6:06 am
  6. “While I ended up not supporting his Presidential run”

I read your stuff and you were hindrance to the campaign. I just don’t buy coolness to his congressional position. Sorry.

As for supporting Libertarians as some are suggesting. I don’t think so.

If Libertarians and independents can’t come to their senses and support someone like Ron Paul. They deserve what they get, like I will deserve what I get by not having tried harder for Ron Paul.

Comment by Josh — February 13, 2008 @ 6:11 am
  7. Chris Peden and his family are the ones donating to Mr Peden’s campaign. He tried to claim that he is ahead of Paul in fundraising, but it turned out that Peden had gotten a loan instead.

Comment by Sandra — February 13, 2008 @ 6:42 am
  8. Chris Peden is just as much of a fiscal Conservative as Paul, if not more, as Peden doesn’t have a history of playing earmark games. Paul, on the other hand, leads all Texas congressmen in earmark request, upwards of $400 Million in 2006 alone.

Comment by JackieL — February 13, 2008 @ 7:07 am
  9. “Paul, on the other hand, leads all Texas congressmen in earmark request, upwards of $400 Million in 2006 alone.”

Prove it. Post the record.

Comment by bill_m — February 13, 2008 @ 7:42 am
  10. “While I ended up not supporting his Presidential run”.

I love your blog, but that is somewhat of an understatement. :-)

FJH

Comment by Fielding J. Hurst — February 13, 2008 @ 7:47 am
  11. bill_m,

Here’s a list of his projects and amounts requested with overall earmarks Paul requested in 2007 totaling some $400 million:

Doug did apparently misspeak somewhat since Paul leads the Houston-area delegates and not necessarily Texas.

Comment by UCrawford — February 13, 2008 @ 7:49 am
  12. JackieL, It is not possible to be a fiscal conservative and not want to slash funding to NASA. It is a huge bloated inefficient agency that produces nothing of value for the United States. The future in space is clearly with private enterprise.

Competition is what makes an enterprise great and space is an area that needs a competitive incentive not a huge government agency. Penden is pandering to the lifer NASA crowd in his district. It has nothing what ever to do with being conservative.

How can someone claim to be a conservative when they support endless and costly war? It is not possible. Ron Paul is the true conservative.

Earmarks are not the waste in government. Maintaining a world empire is. Entitlements are 10 fold as large a waste as even defense spending. Ron is against all of those things and Penden is not. I would not fret to much about Ron losing his seat. He has defended it 10 times and won. He has just had 10′s of millions of dollars thrown at him for a Presidential bid so I think he is pretty popular and will take the day in the end in the 14th.

Comment by Michael McDonnough — February 13, 2008 @ 7:55 am
  13. they were request from his district, that he was obligated to submit, but he always voted no on earmarks. keep on looking.

Comment by sj2008 — February 13, 2008 @ 8:18 am
  14. sj2008,

That is a complete cop-out.

He didn’t have request earmarks. In fact there are nearly 2 dozen Congressman and Senators who have signed a Club For Growth pledge vowing to stop asking for earmarks.

Paul wasn’t one of them, and I think his practice of earmarking and then giving himself the convenient excuse of saying he voted against the final spending bill is, in a word, nonsense.

Comment by Doug Mataconis — February 13, 2008 @ 8:24 am
  15. Doug Mataconis-

I wholeheartedly disagree.

If the thief steals from your purse, and a policeman recovers your belongings:

- do you keep your money or
    - do you turn away the cop, thus leaving no recourse to the policeman to have the dept keep it, and thus, squander it?

Comment by Kurt Ferber — February 13, 2008 @ 8:32 am
  16. he clearly voted against thievery,

if he recovers the citizen’s money every once in a while, dont hold it against him

Comment by Kurt Ferber — February 13, 2008 @ 8:34 am
  17. Folks don’t you see that Doug is a liar? By the way he posts the same infor at another blog.

Don’t you remember that Doug told us over and over that he supported Ron Paul. Then when I pointed out I didn’t see his name on the FEC filling as a donar I began to question is intention. The fact is Doug never supported Ron Paul. He always offered some attack.

No Doug Mataconis is a troll and you should not trust this man with Ron Paul news. Of course every man or women has the right to support whom ever they choose but Doug’s action cry foul.

Doug Matacnois your a waste of time… But at least it’s good to know I can place you on my list of liars….. You earned it!

In regards to Chris Peden I was in Lake Jackson and Paul had somewhere around 800-900 at his rally and Chris had and I counted 37 people who showed up at his rally maybe by the end of his rally he has more but I doubt he ever eclipsed 50.

In regards to others who have posted information about Ron’s earmarks allow me to provide an education into the matter:

Comment by Darel99 — February 13, 2008 @ 8:34 am
  18. Darel99,

Say what you want, but at least spell my name right okay ?

Does the fact that I said that I’d like to see Paul remain in Congress mean a thing to you ?

I suppose it doesn’t.

Comment by Doug Mataconis — February 13, 2008 @ 8:37 am
  19. Ok…. I don’t have the time to go over earmarks… Sorry. I have a major issue to address.

Comment by Darel99 — February 13, 2008 @ 8:38 am
  20. Kurt,

$ 400 million worth of “recovering stolen property”

You have got to be kidding me.

Comment by Doug Mataconis — February 13, 2008 @ 8:38 am
  21. Doug Matacnois?

I didn’t realize you were French :)

Comment by UCrawford — February 13, 2008 @ 8:52 am
  22. [...] http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2008/02/13/ron-pauls-congressional-seat-in-trouble/ Sphere: Related Content [...]

Pingback by Ron Paul’s Congressional Seat In Trouble | Ron Paul War Room — February 13, 2008 @ 8:53 am
  23. Ron Paul HAS NOT dropped out of the 2008 Presidential Race..People need to get their facts straight. Go read his own statement on his site RonPaul2008.com.
    SECONDLY..Chris Peden is a liar..as he told Dr. Paul he would not run against him…and THIS is what Mr. Peden has had to say of Ron PAul in the past.

From staff reports
    The Daily News/Galvestondailynews.com

Published January 12, 2007

But some of Paul’s supporters were intrigued by his potential candidacy.

“I have an immense amount of respect for Ron Paul,” said Chris Peden, a Friendswood city councilman. “Politics has a way of forcing people to go against their core principles for political gain. That has never been the case for Ron Paul.”

SO..WHO do think is gonna win..Ron Paul who’s own opponent says is an honest man who sticks to his principals..or Penden who is a liar and already flip flopping and changing his tune??

Comment by ginger — February 13, 2008 @ 8:53 am
  24. Kurt,

If the thief steals from your purse, and a policeman recovers your belongings:

- do you keep your money or

If the cop “recovers” your money by walking into your neighbors houses and taking money from them then you’re still a party to theft by accepting it. The same is true of earmarks.

Comment by UCrawford — February 13, 2008 @ 8:55 am
  25. In my humble opinion Dr. Paul’s time in Congress has past. His twenty years of valiant efforts have secured his reputation as the Champion of the Constitution. Hopefully, he and his advisers will see that the Republican Party is dead. Time to move on…

Comment by Linda — February 13, 2008 @ 9:03 am
  26. Doug,

You’re such a hypocritical idiot. You’re saying you didn’t support Paul’s campaign but that he’s one of the few conservatives left? That’a like saying, “I wish you well, but not too well.” Also ironic how you’re a blogger for “The Liberty Papers,” but won’t support the ONLY guy that was for liberty. You are disgrace to liberty’s cause.

To Josh: I feel the same way. I just wished we could redo everything.

Comment by MY — February 13, 2008 @ 9:44 am
  27. The job of EVERY representative is to forward the earmark requests of his district to the House Floor.
    Ron Paul doesn’t request the earmarks; the people in his district do; the people submit the earmark requests to Ron Paul because they want their tax money to be spent on projects in their district instead of “however the Federal Government wants to spend their tax money.”

Comment by William — February 13, 2008 @ 9:45 am
  28. MY,

There you go again. Unless you believe Ron Paul is the Second Coming of Christ, you’re a traitor to the cause of freedom.

Don’t you think that starts turning people off at some point ?

Comment by Doug Mataconis — February 13, 2008 @ 9:47 am
  29. I agree with Kurt, Ron Paul is simply recovering money taken by the government.

If your problem is with spending or tax increases, earmarks don’t necessarily increase them. The money was already taken from the taxpayers. If Ron Paul hadn’t asked for it, the money would have been spent elsewhere.

It’s his job to represent his district, that’s why he earmarks bills. However as I said before, the money was already taken and would have been used for other projects, not putting earmarks in the bills doesn’t decrease spending. He votes “No” to the bills because essentially the money should have never been taken in the first resulting in a bill that should have never been created to earmark. I does sound kind of stupid but that’s how the system works.

Comment by fillbaxter — February 13, 2008 @ 9:49 am
  30. No. What I’m is he’s the only guy running that represents the constitution and limited government. Wouldn’t he be the obvious choice of people that believe in liberty and the right to self destination? Like he said, it’s not about Ron Paul, it’s his message. You can’t betray a message! If you don’t believe in the constitution then you don’t believe what America was built on. Why didn’t you support Paul, then?

And why did you say “again?” It’s my first time…

Comment by MY — February 13, 2008 @ 9:59 am
  31. The presidential campaign is aware of these bogus claims that he is dropping out. They are in fact FALSE!!! he is not dropping out of the race.

Comment by Ken — February 13, 2008 @ 10:00 am
  32. So according to you he’s a no go for president but OK for the House.

Explain!

Comment by David P — February 13, 2008 @ 10:00 am
  33. *oops, forgot to wrtie this*

I don’t believe any other candidates in the race has ever uttered “constitution” or has given a reason why what their proposing is authorized by the constitution. Some people think that the Constitution is the past, that the future is not compatible with the constitution. What they don’t realize is that the constitution was written based on Government to restrict government, NOT THE PEOPLE!

Comment by MY — February 13, 2008 @ 10:03 am
  34. David,

One can be qualified to be a Congressman and not qualified to be President. His ideas not withstanding, I don’t believe Ron Paul is qualified to be President. He has a horrible record of managing people and the biggest problem with the newsletter story isn’t their content so much as the fact that he wasn’t willing to distance himself from the person who wrote them, Lew Rockwell.

Comment by Doug Mataconis — February 13, 2008 @ 10:05 am
  35. You see, what happen to you guys at the Liberty Papers, nice name but thats all, everytime I read one of your bullstein Hit peice’s, Look if you don’t think Ron Paul is the second coming of christ, thats fine but don’t sit there and Lie,ok The reason Ron Paul supporters are angry, because what you call an election with Delegates and Caucus, We call the the Battle for the United States of America and the Constitution. The european Union was easy to do because the countries of europe and there people are use to changing stuff like there personal rights and freedoms, Here in America we do not want to rewrite the Greatest thing ever written in the History of Governments, our Constitution thats why we are so rabid ok We will never go along with a NorthAmericanUnion, oh and Doug just goggle it and let people see for themselves ok, you are quite the little agent Provocator, If you don’t support him, I question your objective thinking process, thats all. RonPaul08

Comment by RaferJanders — February 13, 2008 @ 10:05 am
  36. Ken,

He may not have said that he’s dropping out, but he clearly is.

He’s not actively campaigning for President anymore, what other evidence should I consider ?

Comment by Doug Mataconis — February 13, 2008 @ 10:06 am
  37. Doug:

You stirred up the fire ant mound didn’t you. It’s all the same thing to the “Ron Paul is god” crowd.

But I wonder where you got the quote that says he’s dropping out of the Presidential race, cause buddy, I ain’t finding anywhere.

Not that I doubt it could happen, even with a video saying he wouldn’t, cause in reality, he admitted on that video that he wasn’t really running for president but fanning the flames of a new kind of GOP or something.

Comment by seeker1 — February 13, 2008 @ 10:08 am
  38. Ok Doug, well,, Hmmmm

Comment by RaferJanders — February 13, 2008 @ 10:25 am
  39. Doug,

Read his site today:

Amazing what propaganda and garbarge people will spew just to trash someone.

Don’t believe the hype!

Comment by Ken — February 13, 2008 @ 10:27 am
  40. Ken,

You will agree, I assume, that he’s not going to win the nomination, right ?

What I don’t get is how he thinks he’s going to influence the GOP when he’ll go to St. Paul with only 16 — or 42 — delegates. Under RNC rules, his name won’t even be included in the roll call of states for the nomination.

Comment by Doug Mataconis — February 13, 2008 @ 10:30 am
  41. Doug,

“He’s not actively campaigning for President anymore, what other evidence should I consider?”

I live in Texas. If he is not actively campaigning, why do I keep seeing Ron Paul campaign adds on TV?

Comment by Chris — February 13, 2008 @ 10:31 am
  42. “Paul, on the other hand, leads all Texas congressmen in earmark request, upwards of $400 Million in 2006 alone.”

Yeah, we gotta get Chris Peden in, and save that $400 million dollars, to help fund the $1 trillion dollar war that he supports.

Comment by David — February 13, 2008 @ 10:35 am
  43. “…I think his practice of earmarking and then giving himself the convenient excuse of saying he voted against the final spending bill is, in a word, nonsense.”

What I can’t figure out is why any of Ron Paul’s earmark requests ever make it to the final bill, when everyone knows in advance that Ron Paul will be voting against the bill. I thought earmarks were like political bargaining chips, stuffed in to buy off support from other members of Congress.

Personally, I wish Ron Paul had never submitted any earmarks, or at least none that were unconstitutional, but it’s stretching things quite a bit to use the earmark issue against him, when he votes against all tax increases and against almost all spending.

It’s like people saying, “Look! Ron Paul isn’t as pure as the driven snow! He’s only 95% perfect, so don’t vote for him! Vote for someone who’s 50% perfect instead!” It makes no sense.

Comment by Craig — February 13, 2008 @ 10:59 am
  44. Ron Paul is the real deal, I will support this man as President of the United States and I will also support this man fighting for his congressional seat. Men like Ron Paul don’t come around very often, and when people see a man that fights for freedom, liberty and prosperity they follow, not as sheep that follow the likes of Mccain or Obama but as educated, passionate people that want to restore our Constitutional Republic.

Comment by Veritas — February 13, 2008 @ 11:22 am
  45. I dont get the earmark thing vis-a-vis the congressional election. Did Peden say he would sign the Club for Growth’s Anti-Pork pledge? or is this all just some trolling by Peden donors?

Comment by Mark D — February 13, 2008 @ 11:30 am
  46. Doug Mataconis said:

Reply:

Let’s assume that your guess is right, and Lew Rockwell did write the articles — and Ron Paul doesn’t want to out him. We don’t know that’s true, but let’s assume for the sake of argument that it is true.

So what? All it really proves is that Dr. Paul is a loyal friend — and will remain a loyal friend — even if it has the potential to damage his political ambitions. I would count that as a point in Dr. Paul’s favor, rather than against him. It’s a demonstation that he has moral courage far above the other candidates, who I’mm sure would sell out their own mother to gain power. Isn’t that the kind of person you would want as president — someone who has the integrity to refuse to sell out their friends — and will take all the heat himself for the newsletters, as he has done. Most politicans are all to eager to pass the buck. Not Ron Paul.

For a great satire on the president, the mainstream media, and the war on terror, see this YouTube music video from the international award-winning zombie musical feature film, “Song of the Dead.” (www.songofthedead.com)It’ stars horror movie veteran Reggie Bannister (Phantasm, Wishmaster, Bubba Ho-tep) as the president of the U.S. The filmmaker, Chip Gubera, is giving a share of his profits from DVD sales to the Ron Paul campaign. Go to:

Comment by mketcher — February 13, 2008 @ 11:46 am
  47. Earmarks are not the problem. Earmarks projects, if legitimate useful projects, are one of the few ways in which states can get back some of their own money. they have already been robbed of their money and more power to getting some of it back. This money would go back to the executive branch to be wasted otherwise.

This is just a false flag to denigrate Congressmen. I will agree that some unscrupulous Congressmen earmark this money unwisely. But to categorize all earmarks as frivolous would be a mistake.

The real problem is unnecessary spending on wars and social programs that have now reached the point of bankrupting America.

Comment by Carole — February 13, 2008 @ 11:47 am
  48. Carole,

Perhaps it’s time we looked at Ron Paul’s earmark requests and ask ourselves how many of them are actually a proper function of the Federal Government under the Constitution that he claims to abide by.

Comment by Doug Mataconis — February 13, 2008 @ 11:48 am
  49. This whole thing about earmarks is absolute nonsense. What you are not aware of is that all members of Congress do this so they can get monies back to their constituents in their districts. Meaning if Dr. Paul did not use earmarks this money that has already been allocated by Congress would go to the president to use for his own budget. Now, do you REALLY want G.W. Bush to have more money? Or would you rather have this money for your people in your district?

Comment by Ken — February 13, 2008 @ 11:58 am
  50. Ron Paul doesn’t have to worry about retirement, he has millions invested in various gold mining companies, and related industries.

Comment by Thunder Pig — February 13, 2008 @ 12:06 pm
  51. So when Ron Paul doesn’t drop out and use his presidential money to defend his congressional seat, how bad does Rick Morris and this lying, shi**y blog (FDH Lounge) look?

They don’t have sources, they’re just trying to rile Paul supporters up…and it’s working.

Comment by Rick Morris is a liar — February 13, 2008 @ 12:21 pm
  52. mketcher,

That’s the problem…loyalty to people who hinder what the candidate wants to accomplish is not an asset. It’s been the downfall of several presidential administrations, including the current one.

Comment by UCrawford — February 13, 2008 @ 12:21 pm
  53. Ron Paul has said repeatedly that if were going to be paying 40% of our income to the government then it’s only smart for his constituency to get that money back with services.. or “EAR-MARKS”.

Ron Paul makes more sense as a president than he does as a senator.

Comment by Robert — February 13, 2008 @ 1:59 pm
  54. Is McCain illegible to be President?
    Only Natural Born Citizens are eligible to be President.

Comment by Teflon Ron — February 13, 2008 @ 3:12 pm
  55. Teflon Ron,

Oh good lord, this has already been debunked:

Comment by Doug Mataconis — February 13, 2008 @ 3:14 pm
  56. …Sorry, can’t resist this one.

Teflon Ron:

The only thing that’s “illegible” is your question.

(DRINK!)

Comment by Mark — February 13, 2008 @ 3:18 pm
  57. TR,

I’m sorry, I misunderstood your question.

No, I don’t think John McCain is illegible. I can read his handwriting pretty clearly most of the time ;)

Comment by Doug Mataconis — February 13, 2008 @ 3:20 pm
  58. Doug,

No, no, no, TR was insinuating that McCain’s parents weren’t married, which they were. :)

Comment by UCrawford — February 13, 2008 @ 3:37 pm
  59. Doug is pretty much right on this issue, and I AM a Ron Paul SUPPORTER. I think it would be nice to see him keep his seat. However, there were a LOT of self-inflicted issues keeping him from being taken seriously as a POTUS candidate. It wasn’t all conspiracies and media blackouts. He displayed several flaws that made him unelectable. I think he did very WELL for a guy with natural base of under 1%. He raised a lot of money and showed consistent support around 5%- much more than I would have imagined a year ago. But Ron Paul’s POTUS campaign is DONE. I was proud to be one of his few sane supporters, but reality must be faced.

Comment by Greg C. — February 13, 2008 @ 4:48 pm
  60. UCrawford,

I wouldn’t worry about Paul’s retirement. I’ve heard before that he’s sitting on about $4 million in gold investments.

Comment by JP — February 13, 2008 @ 5:33 pm
  61. JackieL,

Peden doesn’t have a record with earmarks because he has never MADE earmarks before—the guy is on a city council for a relatively small town.

But he does support the Iraq war, which is a bigger waste of money than Paul has ever been associated with.

Comment by JP — February 13, 2008 @ 5:37 pm
  62. Peden has been accusing Ron Paul of having “neglected” his district, which implies that Peden is promising to bring home more pork than Paul does.

So honestly, if one is opposed to Paul on pork grounds, a vote for Peden is not a vote for improvement.

Comment by tarran — February 13, 2008 @ 7:43 pm
  63. JP,

I never really worried about his retirement, I just saw him make a comment about his family being concerned about personal finances when he was doing an interview…I think it might have been on Bill Maher. Glad to hear he’s set up for whenever he decides to leave politics though (hopefully not for another Congressional term or two)…he seems like a decent enough guy, so best of luck to him.

Comment by UCrawford — February 13, 2008 @ 8:30 pm
  64. SO WHAT if Ron PAul invested in gold..just goes to show he KNOWS what he is talking about on the economy..He has said the dollar was being ruined by the Fed..and he took action..he invested in something solid..smart man…He KNOWS what is going on and knew for a long time that our Govt. would do this to the dollar. Just another reason Ill give him my vote..even if I have to rite him in!!

Comment by ginger — February 13, 2008 @ 8:35 pm
  65. I think the writer is on the Ron Paul kick because he knows that there are tons of people out there googling to read every article about RP they can.

I guess this guy needs his 15 minutes too.

Comment by billlukemakeyapuke — February 13, 2008 @ 8:38 pm
  66. Someone asked for proof of Ron Paul’s massive pork spending requests($400 Million in 07)
    Here you go:

He can’t fund our young men and women being shot at, money for bullets and body armor, but he sure can fund his shrimp farming subsidies and old theater restoration.

Comment by JackieL — February 14, 2008 @ 7:56 am
  67. Teflon Ron- that’s great! His little cult has an excuse for everything don’t they?

Comment by JackieL — February 14, 2008 @ 7:59 am
  68. I hope CD14 continues to recognize what a great statesman they have in Ron Paul. I only wish we had a few Ron Pauls in office here in Ohio.

I don’t know much about Chris Peden, but if his negative campaign methods seeking to upset Dr. Paul is any indication of the character of the man, Paul should handily defeat him for an 11th term.

It’s pretty telling, when you compare the Paul for CD14 Rep. website ronpaulforcongress.com with the chrispeden.org site. Paul’s site touts his accomplishments and beliefs, and encourages people to research his past and his voting records.

Chris Peden’s site, and the words of his backers, concentrates on out-of-context statements mixed with twisted observations and an outright lie or two…maybe more, I’m not sure since I couldn’t stomach the site long enough to read more, following the “Paul is pro-abortion” claim!
    If Peden has any integrity whatsoever, I’d be surprised just based on his campaign methods and list of who endorses him.

I sure hope your district recognizes what it’s got, because if they’re as addled and asleep at the wheel as the rest of the country, the nation as we know it is finished.

Comment by James Moore — February 14, 2008 @ 12:15 pm
  69. Peden is very conservative and it’s time for him to be elected. He’s done a great job on Friendswood City Council. He was the one that started the move to refund $1.1 million to the citizens of Friendswood. And they did.

Ron Paul has NEVER paid much attention to our district.

Comment by Francis Baken — February 14, 2008 @ 10:50 pm
  70. Paul will not lose. Hes the faorite candidate of the miltary and had a national stage to show he is the last candidate of integrity. I thought Texas prided themselves on patriotism? You would think they would see that in the candidate the holds the US constitution in his right hand and refuses to waver from it.

Ill check back after Peden goes back to City Council to debate bake sales.

Comment by Conservative — February 15, 2008 @ 10:40 am
  71. Well? Where is the drop out? If Paul was really wanting to drop out to spend presidential money on his congressional race, he’d have already done it. You have to buy ads weeks in advance. Dropping out on March 1st does him zero good.

Could it be that this was…gasp…a big lie from a blogspot site?

Comment by LOL — February 18, 2008 @ 2:33 am
  72. Again, it doesn’t surprise me that the Republican party is attacking Ron Paul. They and the democrat party are one and the same both wanting a One World Order and Ron Paul is in their way. They are afraid of him because he is not part of their evil empire. The media is controlled by the One World elitists, they control the news and brainwash people to believe anything they say to be fact It wouldn’t surprise me if the polling machines are already set for him to lose. There was vote fraud in the primaries against him, so why would it be any different now. Until the Americans demand that these voting machines that can be fixed be thrown to the dump and demand write in votes with close counting in the open, then this fraud will go on and on.

Comment by Maryann Schneider — February 19, 2008 @ 2:39 pm
  73. Maryann,

The GOP isn’t attacking Ron Paul, they’re ignoring him because he’s a non-factor in the race.

Comment by Doug Mataconis — February 19, 2008 @ 2:43 pm
  74. LOL,

Why no campaigning in Wisconsin ? Or Ohio ? And have you noticed that he’s raised more money for the Congressional campaign over the past 10 days than the Presidential campaign ?

There are different ways to end a Presidential campaign, Ron Paul is choosing to do it very quietly.

Comment by Doug Mataconis — February 19, 2008 @ 2:44 pm