“The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe with blood for centuries.”     James Madison

March 31, 2008

Carey tackles immigration

by Jason Pye

“I think we should welcome all peaceful people to our country. They get to the pursue the ‘American Dream’ and we get to benefit from all the wonderful things that immigrants bring to our country—like good old fashioned soccer. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.” – Drew Carey

Drew Carey tackles immigration in the latest episode of The Drew Carey Project:

Permalink || Comments (6) || Categories: Immigration
TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2008/03/31/carey-tackles-immigration/trackback/

1. Now that is a libertarian’s position on immigration.

As opposed to, well, you know who.

Comment by Doug Mataconis — April 1, 2008 @ 5:46 am
  2. Yeah, I’ll never understand hating on people that give up everything to come to this country to work hard and try and make a better life for themselves. Whether its an educated engineer or a guy who’s willing to do manual labor for less than minimum wage. If you’re peaceful and won’t infringe on other’s rights then I say come on in.

Comment by Ben — April 1, 2008 @ 8:21 am
  3. I agree with a snippet of one of the commenters over there, “In other words, the problem is American socialism, not Mexican immigrants.” Decimate (literally) sCHIP, education, health care, etc., and open the borders tomorrow if you like. I only understand 40% of the Walmart announcements here in Atlanta anyway, so it’d be a step forward :D

Comment by Jmarsh — April 1, 2008 @ 1:21 pm
  4. I would actually warn them that the country they yearn for, may not be here tomorrow. But hey, they should enjoy it as much as they can while it lasts, I suppose.

Comment by Nitroadict — April 1, 2008 @ 2:25 pm
  5. Nitroadict,

We’ll be just fine in the long run. Great piece by Carey.

Comment by UCrawford — April 1, 2008 @ 3:55 pm
  6. Hey guys- I’m back after an all-too-lengthy hiatus from blogging/commenting. In any event, I’m working on a piece that is going to show that the people who are most anti-immigrant (and who are most likely to think immigrants “took ur jerbs”) are the people who see the fewest immigrants.

One more thing, since I just finished a post pointing this out this afternoon: immigration doesn’t cause socialism – it cures it. As anyone who ever read Road to Serfdom closely should understand, cultural and social homogenity is the surest way to impose socialism. The more diverse a society is, the more difficult it is to impose socialism, which is why there is often a strong nativist backlash to immigration in socialist countries like, I don’t know, France.

I would argue that increased immigration results in greater inter-government competition, which in turn results in freer markets and less government intervention in the economy. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Mexico began to liberalize its economy at about the same time as emigration from Mexico was reaching critical mass.

Comment by Mark — April 2, 2008 @ 1:31 pm