“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.”     Frederick Bastiat

May 5, 2008

Hillary Clinton: Second Amendment Defender?

by Stephen Littau

The Hillary Clinton campaign has sent out mailers criticizing Barack Obama for trying to have it both ways on the Second Amendment. The mailer reads as follows:

These are all valid criticisms of Barack Obama; I have made some of these very criticisms myself (here, and here). But the source of these criticisms (Hillary Clinton) seems very strange to me. Barack Obama could very easily ask the same question: What does Hillary Clinton really believe?

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn’t Hillary Clinton’s husband Bill Clinton sign the Brady Bill into law? Maybe this is another example of her disagreeing with the policies of her husband’s administration, such as with NAFTA (if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you).

Apparently, I’m not the only one who is skeptical of Hillary Clinton’s sudden bid to become the NRA’s next president (she might as well, she doesn’t have any realistic chance of winning the Democrat nomination for president). Ben Smith writes:

The piece [the mailer as shown above] is particularly striking coming from Clinton, who has been seen for most of her career as a firm advocate of gun control, but more recently has emerged — without dramatically shifting her stance on specific issues — as a defender of the Second Amendment who fondly recalled being taught to shoot by her grandfather in Scranton.

Hillary Clinton: Second Amendment Defender? How stupid does she really think we are?

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2008/05/05/hillary-clinton-second-amendment-defender/trackback/

1. How stupid does [she] really think we are?

Stop talking like some elitist economist!

;-)

Comment by KipEsquire — May 5, 2008 @ 12:34 pm
  2. If I qualify as an elitist economist, then we are in real trouble :)

Comment by Stephen Littau — May 5, 2008 @ 12:47 pm
  3. I don’t know how many times I read over the post and never noticed the “she” was missing. Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment by Stephen Littau — May 5, 2008 @ 12:52 pm
  4. Both Hillary and Osama Hussein Obama are reflexively anti-gun. As a Jewess in the US, I would like to remind everyone that criminals are stopped by FIREARMS, not by talk. And that America wasn’t won with a registered gun. That is why all REAL Americans put our 2nd Amendment FIRST!

Comment by Wendy Weinbaum — May 6, 2008 @ 10:25 am
  5. Wendy, just wondering why you felt it important to give Obama’s name like that? You didn’t even bother putting his first name, Barack.

Comment by Aimee — May 6, 2008 @ 1:55 pm
  6. Aimee,

Wendy, just wondering why you felt it important to give Obama’s name like that?

I’m going to assume that it’s for the same reason that she chose to identify herself as Jewish immediately after she did it…because she somehow thinks that being a member of a group that’s been in conflict with Muslims and black people makes it okay for her to make racist comments about Muslims and black people (despite the fact that Obama’s not a Muslim).

By all means, feel free to correct me if there’s another reason for it, Wendy.

Comment by UCrawford — May 6, 2008 @ 2:24 pm
  7. UCrawford, that was the impression I got, I was just curious.

Comment by Aimee — May 6, 2008 @ 4:01 pm
  8. Even funnier the rifel on the envelope is a German made European high end model with the bolt on the left hand side. It also has double triggers which is only popular in Europe. Someone mirrored it because left handed style of that model was never made. Here is the dugg version along with comments.

Comment by Norm Nelson — May 6, 2008 @ 4:18 pm
  9. She learned to appreciate the necessity for self defense in Bosnia, I guess.

Comment by hydralisk — May 7, 2008 @ 12:25 am
  10. Yeah, HRC must be stupid if she thinks she can fool Second Amendment voters into believing she would be a staunch defender of the right to bear arms if she were president. She really must assume we are all stupid or that willing to consider her as an alternative to the other statists running for office.

Comment by Andrew — May 7, 2008 @ 2:12 pm
  11. I guess South Park had it right when they compares our electoral process to the choice between a giant duesh and a turd sandwich, dems want out guns and Mc Cain will give us 100 years in Iraq. I feel that it is time for a direct democratic republic: 501 senators elected by lottery put forth bills, once they pass the senate they go to the people for a vote with a panel of 101 judges seeing to it that they follow they are constitutional. What say you of this?

Comment by Jay — May 8, 2008 @ 5:29 am
  12. “I feel that it is time for a direct democratic republic: 501 senators elected by lottery put forth bills, once they pass the senate they go to the people for a vote with a panel of 101 judges seeing to it that they follow they are constitutional. What say you of this?”

To which I say: tyranny of the majority is still tyranny. I no more trust a mob to tell me what I can and cannot do than I trust a couple of politicians. The beauty of the American Constitution, at least as envisioned by Madison, is that it is set up to protect individual rights against the tyranny of the majority…this turns that principle on its head.

Comment by Mark — May 8, 2008 @ 6:35 am