“It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.”     Ayn Rand

May 21, 2008

The Liberty Papers to Cover the National Convention in Denver

by Stephen Littau

My press pass will give me the same access as the MSM outlets (though some events will be reserved for “invited media only”). The events which I believe I will be able to get into include the platform debate, the presidential debate, national chairs debate, presidential nominating speeches, presidential election roll call with acceptance speech, the first press conference with the LP Presidential Nominee, and much, much more.

Fellow Liberty Papers contributor Jason Pye will also be attending the convention as a delegate.

Usually, The Liberty Papers does not have a great deal of activity on the weekends as far as posts are concerned but this weekend will be much different. Expect periodic reporting from the convention beginning Saturday. I’m going to try to score some high profile interviews, will post lots of photos, and possibly post some video for your consumption.

It’s my goal to bring the convention to The Liberty Papers’ reader. Any suggestions for what you would like me to cover, who I interview, and what questions you would like me to ask would be greatly appreciated!

**UPDATE** Jason Pye will also be adding content to The Liberty Papers throughout the weekend:

I am taking a video camera and a laptop and will be updating daily both here and The Liberty Papers. You may even see a post or two over at Red State.

There will be a few battles between moderates and anarchists, mainly over the platform and Bob Barr. Over a beer not too long ago, I told Daniel Adams, chairman of the Libertarian Party of Georgia, that I expected a walkout of different factions at some point during the convention.

Pye has much more insight to the inner workings of the Libertarian Party than I do, so I think his take on the event will be very interesting. Between the two of us, I think we will have the convention covered quite well.

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2008/05/21/the-liberty-papers-to-cover-the-national-convention-in-denver/trackback/

1. [...] [sic] | The Weblog Of Stuart Sharpe wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerpt The Libertarian Convention of course! Which convention did you think I was talking about? The Libertarian National Convention will run this Memorial Day weekend beginning on Thursday, May 22nd and ending on Monday, May 26th. I plan on attending the convention representing The Liberty Papers as a citizen journalist on Saturday, Sunday, and possibly Monday. My press pass will give me the same access as the MSM outlets (though some events will be reserved for “invited media only”). The events [...]

Pingback by The Liberty Papers to Cover the National Convention in Denver | Politics in America — May 21, 2008 @ 12:20 pm
  2. Please ask how the libertarian party has influenced national legislation in the past decade, what tactics permitted these achievements, and what achievements and changes in tactics we can expect to see from the libertarian party in the future.

Comment by Anonymous765654 — May 21, 2008 @ 12:28 pm
  3. [...] Littau and Jason Pye, two of my co-contributors at The Liberty Papers will be attending the Libertarian National Convention in Denver, which begins tomorrow: The Libertarian National Convention will run this Memorial Day weekend beginning on Thursday, May [...]

Pingback by Below The Beltway » Blog Archive » Blogging The Libertarian Convention — May 21, 2008 @ 2:49 pm
  4. Stephen, that’s fantastic news. Good for you. It’s nice to see a blog that I read movin up in the world.

I think if I was in your shoes, my question would be, if the LP plans on getting away from the “Libertine” lifestyle platforms, that mainly hurts the “image” of the party with, middle America. And to get onto real policy.

Another than that, listen, and enjoy yourself. So happy for you guys.

Comment by RegularRon — May 21, 2008 @ 4:02 pm
  5. are you going to try to get any sort of either off-the-cuff and/or proper interview of Barr or Ruart?

Comment by oilnwater — May 21, 2008 @ 4:52 pm
  6. Please ask how the libertarian party has influenced national legislation in the past decade, what tactics permitted these achievements, and what achievements and changes in tactics we can expect to see from the libertarian party in the future.

I’ll second that.

Comment by Jeff Molby — May 21, 2008 @ 8:51 pm
  7. These comments and questions are all appreciated and will be considered.

RegularRon, I’m not quite sure what you mean about “getting away from the “Libertine” lifestyle platforms, that mainly hurts the “image” of the party with, middle America. And to get onto real policy.”

I don’t see anything libertine about the Libertarian Party (though I’m sure the party is populated with such people). Libertine means doing whatever one wants without worry of the consequences. Libertarians in general (and the party platform in-particular) stress personal responsibility for one’s actions (i.e. while drugs, prostitution, gambling, etc. should be legalized, individuals who engage in these activities should pay any consequences and not expect other citizens to pick up the tab).

Perhaps the personal responsibility side needs to be stressed a little more than it has been but I disagree that the LP promotes a libertine philosophy.

Comment by Stephen Littau — May 21, 2008 @ 10:31 pm
  8. Oilnwater:

I’ll pretty much settle for whatever I can get in the way of interviews. The Liberty Papers isn’t exactly C-Span :)

The candidates I want to interveiw the most are Wayne Allyn Root and Bob Barr.

I know Barr is a fan favorite here, but I’ve got to tell you, I’ve listend to some of the debates and interviews with W.A.R. and I must say that I am very impressed with him so far. Root deserves serious consideration.

Comment by Stephen Littau — May 21, 2008 @ 10:40 pm
  9. Stephen,

I’m thinking the front runner is Ruwart for the nomination. My impression is that the whackos are going to be out in force and Ruwart will be the last whacko standing until Root or Barr are eliminated and then the whackos will gang up on the survivor of Root-Barr.

Comment by Kevin — May 22, 2008 @ 12:00 pm
  10. Kevin,

From what little I have read, Root and Barr seem to be the frontrunners, but I honestly don’t know what is going to happen. My hope is the delegates choose a voice of reason such as Root or Barr.

If they choose Gravel, I will vote “none of the above” in November.

Comment by Stephen Littau — May 22, 2008 @ 12:11 pm
  11. [...] however, has a nice roundup of coverage, including links to live-blogging from friends-of-the-site The Liberty Papers and Third Party Watch. You can also catch it being run on CSpan live beginning at 9 PM EST time [...]

Pingback by The Crossed Pond » The Libertarian National Convention — May 22, 2008 @ 3:04 pm
  12. Wayne Allyn Root is the right messinger for Leberty. He is 100% Libertarian and devoted to the cause. He alone will bring the Party to new highs for the Libertarians. If you know nothing about this man you should check him out at his site rootforamerica.com

Comment by michael micelli — May 22, 2008 @ 6:53 pm
  13. [...] The Liberty Papers, Third Party Watch, ComicsPundit, Knappster, and, Reason’s Hit & Run   [link] [...]

Pingback by Below The Beltway » Blog Archive » Libertarian National Convention Coverage — May 24, 2008 @ 4:34 am