“The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy”     Douglas Adams,    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

June 12, 2008

Happy Loving Day

A victory for personal freedom, 41 years ago today:

On this date in 1967, the US Supreme Court decided the case of Loving v. Virginia, striking down Virginia’s anti-misegenation statute. Mildred Loving passed away on May 2 of this year, promting a flurry of moving obituaries. As John Ridley noted on NPR’s morning edition, Barak Obama was born of a mixed race marriage in 1961 — during a time when several states would send cops to break into the bedrooms of and arrest people like his parents.

Times certainly have changed.

For the better.

H/T: Freedom Democrats

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2008/06/12/happy-loving-day/trackback/

1. Quote:

“Times certainly have changed.”

Have they, I wonder? Two consenting females cannot marry.

What’s interesting is that the logic employed to discriminate against two men who wish to marry is really as baseless as the arguments employed to deny the ‘right to marry’ whom one chooses to bi-racial couple’s.

Comment by Alex — June 12, 2008 @ 2:12 pm
  2. Alex,

I don’t disagree, but consider this.

It took nearly 30 years from the first State Supreme Court decision declaring miscegenation laws unconstitutional before that became the law nationwide.

Is it tragic that it took so long ? Yes, but societal changes like that don’t happen in an instance.

Realistically, I think that anyone who thinks that the debate over marriage rights for gays and lesbians is going to be over in the short-term is kidding themselves.

Honestly, I think that the degree to which gay marriage is becoming acceptable is happening at a faster rate than it took for inter-racial marriages to achieve the same level of acceptance.

Comment by Doug Mataconis — June 12, 2008 @ 2:21 pm
  3. Indeed, I agree with you Doug. I think to this extent,

“I think that the degree to which gay marriage is becoming acceptable is happening at a faster rate than it took for inter-racial marriages to achieve the same level of acceptance…”

Times certainly have changed for the better.

Comment by Alex — June 12, 2008 @ 5:55 pm
  4. Oh, come on! There must be others out there who are just biting their tongues. If nobody else has the balls to be politically incorrect then I will be:

Times certainly have changed.

For the better.

And now we have Obama running for president…

*As a side note, aren’t most blacks in this country a small percent mixed heritage anyways?

Comment by Justin Bowen — June 14, 2008 @ 1:25 am
  5. Why would people be biting their tongues? I fail to grasp your point, Justin.

Comment by Alex — June 14, 2008 @ 8:04 am
  6. I can’t see how it could be anything but politically incorrect to suggest that the changed attitudes of the people towards interracial relationships, which many consider to be a good thing, will have bad results.

I imagine that most people would consider the changed attitudes towards women in business and politics to be a good thing. However, it would be politically incorrect to say, “Well, now we have people like Hillary Clinton running for president. I guess the changed attitudes towards women in business and politics wasn’t such a great thing after all.”

My point: it’s politically incorrect to suggest that equality can be a bad thing.

Comment by Justin Bowen — June 14, 2008 @ 8:41 pm