“It was Public Art, defined as art that is purchased by experts who are not spending their own personal money.”     Dave Barry

July 7, 2008

Quote Of The Day: Putting The Country First

by Brad Warbiany

For anyone advocating that a libertarian-leaning person vote for John McCain, ask yourself a question…

Patriotism is deeper than its symbolic expressions, than sentiments about place and kinship that move us to hold our hands over our hearts during the national anthem. It is putting the country first, before party or personal ambition, before anything.

Is this an individualist or a collectivist/nationalist statement?

(From Parade Magazine)

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2008/07/07/quote-of-the-day-putting-the-country-first/trackback/

1. It reads like that passage from Mein Kampf I quoted in an earlier comment thread.

Comment by tarran — July 7, 2008 @ 4:53 am
  2. The choice is between two collectivists, so collecting collectivist quotes from one doesn’t really decide who to vote for.

Comment by Constant — July 7, 2008 @ 5:26 am
  3. I don’t think I can or encourage anyone else to vote this year with a clear consicence. All the choices are so bad, the only one even close to being decent is barr but I don’t know if he’s remotely worth supporting.

Comment by NA — July 7, 2008 @ 9:34 am
  4. When your choice is between a national greatness collectivist and a dependency monger collectivist, which would you pick?

(Disclaimer: Living in California, I’m free to vote my conscience as the state will break for Obama no matter what.)

Comment by Quincy — July 7, 2008 @ 1:01 pm
  5. You read my mind Quincy, spot on.

One person appeals to national greatness and patriotism.

The other is a “citizen of the planet”.

Comment by Jono — July 7, 2008 @ 5:16 pm
  6. Reminds me of a quote I liked so much I had it made into a T-shirt:

“Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for yourself.”

Comment by Akston — July 7, 2008 @ 10:41 pm
  7. When your choice is between a national greatness collectivist and a dependency monger collectivist, which would you pick?

I’ll vote my conscience even if my state stays in play.

Comment by Jeff Molby — July 7, 2008 @ 10:42 pm
  8. If your house is to be robbed, would you pick the thief that goes in the front door or the back door?

As long as I know which door, I’d take either, and that’s kind of the point. The US is about to be saddled by a collectivist, and the choice folks have if their state is in play it to try and influence the outcome one way or another or not to influence it at all.

If I were in a state that was in play, I’d probably vote for McCain for two reasons:

1) The media will be much more suspicious of McCain than Obama
    2) A collectivist with a compliant congress is a scary thing (see GWB and the Republican majority, 2001-2006)

I’m not saying my choice is the right one, just that it’s the one I’d make. Luckily, I’m in CA and simply don’t have to make that choice.

Comment by Quincy — July 7, 2008 @ 11:40 pm
  9. I hear ya, Quincy. As much as I’d hate to see the Dems have an easy time implementing their platform, I also realize two things:
    1. Barring a huge cultural shift, it’s inevitable anyways.
    2. It would be horrible for the disastrous GOP polices of recent years to be rewarded with a another presidential victory. They need to spend the next 10 years with just barely enough power to filibuster occasionally.

The bottom line is there’s nothing that can even remotely be considered a win for us. Libertarians won’t even get a consolation prize out of this one.

Comment by Jeff Molby — July 8, 2008 @ 1:42 am
  10. The only consolation I can summon is to hope for Libertarians to garner 1-2% of the popular vote (which would be 3-6 times the last presidential showing). If the Republicans lose by a narrow enough margin – and perceive Barr as the “spoiler” – they may find some grudging value in courting that side of the spectrum next time.

It’s small consolation, but liberty seems to have less appeal than fear and group-safety at the moment. Both main candidates will continue to try to prove that they love America more, pushing towards Samuel Johnson’s “last refuge.”

I also take solace in supporting libertarian-leaning congressional candidates wherever I find them.

O.K., one last “meaningless” quote:

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.”
    - Mark Twain