“Run for your life from any man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter.”     Ayn Rand

August 4, 2008

LEAP’s First Billboard Advertisement in Omaha

by Stephen Littau

leap

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) has posted its first billboard message in Omaha, Nebraska. To me this is the “right” message we libertarians should be spreading regarding the war on (some) drugs.

LEAP’s homepage has a very interesting statistic from a recent Zogby Poll.

The question: “If hard drugs such as heroin or cocaine were legalized would you be likely to use them?”

The answer: 99% answered “no.”

Hat Tip: Richard Combs

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2008/08/04/leap%e2%80%99s-first-billboard-advertisement-in-omaha/trackback/

1. Which drugs are you including when you say “some” drugs, pray tell?

Comment by jwh — August 5, 2008 @ 4:02 am
  2. jwh,

The reason we routinely refer to the war on drugs as the war on (some) drugs on this blog is to point out the inconsistent nature of drug policy in the U.S. Despite the many known medicinal properties of cannabis, federal drug policy (for the most part) prevents individuals from using the drug even for legitimate medical purposes. Meanwhile, drugs which are many times more dangerous than cannabis are prescribed thousands of times every day legally.

And then there’s government schools which all but require some parents to drug their children with drugs which are close cousins to cocaine (for ADHD and ADD; conditions which are often misdiagnosed in children).

Then consider smoking tobacco. Smoking kills many times more Americans than all illegal drugs combined. I’m not advocating making tobacco illegal but I do find this to be very inconsistent if the government’s stated goal is to “save people from themselves.”

Comment by Stephen Littau — August 5, 2008 @ 7:08 am
  3. jwh –

We use the War on (Some) Drugs not because we believe some drugs should remain illegal, but rather as an acknowledgment that most other drugs are already legal.

Alcohol is already legal, but marijuana is not. Which is more harmful to individuals and society? Which is illegal? Funny how the answers don’t line up. Hence, the War on (Some) Drugs.

Comment by Quincy — August 5, 2008 @ 7:19 am
  4. Put another way: the designation “some” points out that the arbitrary basis upon which the government decides which drugs it is at war with. Of course, on closer examination we often (not always) find that the bases for those decisions have their roots in rather suspect motives (e.g., the prohibition on cannabis largely originated out of its popularity amongst less-than-popular immigrant groups in the early 20th century).

Comment by Mark — August 5, 2008 @ 8:27 am
  5. I dunno, I think if drugs were legal, everyone would use them. Just like everyone in Oregon committed suicide after physician-assisted suicide was approved.

Comment by Peter Orvetti — August 5, 2008 @ 6:22 pm
  6. @Peter,
    Are you serious? I did an essay on assisted suicide last year for one of my college courses. I know more than I ever wanted to know about it and the numbers are not all that great for people that take advantage of it. “From 1998 through 2004, 208 Oregonians – competent, terminally ill, and meeting strict guidelines – swallowed fatal doses of medicine legally prescribed by a doctor.”

Also, I have never in my life touched “illegal” drugs. Had plenty of friends that did it, I had no interest. If any of it were to become legal, I still wouldn’t do it, I have no desire to experiment with it. In fact, I think it would take away its appeal if it were legal and easy to get.

Comment by Aimee — August 6, 2008 @ 12:51 pm
  7. I was informed that Peter’s comment was a joke my bad. *Burying head in hands from embarrassment*

Comment by Aimee — August 7, 2008 @ 6:45 am