“Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities (and the smallest minority on earth is the individual).”     Ayn Rand

September 11, 2008

Some Damn Good Advice From an American by Choice

by Chris

No further commentary necessary.

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2008/09/11/some-damn-good-advice-from-an-american-by-choice/trackback/

1. I heard them re-play this on the radio this afternoon. I was more-or-less with him, up until the point that he referred to voting as one’s “duty”, and basically called me an idiot for refusing to choose a new master ever fourth year. It’s a shame really, because he was dead-nuts right with the first 50% of his monologue, and he completely reversed it with the remainder.

Comment by David Z — September 11, 2008 @ 7:20 pm
  2. Yeah, when he got to the duty part he talked about our democracy being about:

free people making free choices

I don’t think freedom’s on that menu. It’s more like going into Cracker Barrel trying to find health food, and having a choice between the country breakfast with ham, eggs, hash browns, or the flapjacks and bacon, smothered in syrup. One may be marginally better for you than the other, but neither are good*.

* PS – Yes, they’ve probably got a fruit plate (i.e. Bob Barr) on the menu, but we all know only the most disciplined will choose it. The average voter is deciding which flavor of pork they prefer.

Comment by Brad Warbiany — September 12, 2008 @ 5:11 am
  3. [...] Brad Warbiany: Yeah, when he got to the duty part he talked about our democracy being about: free people making free… [...]

Pingback by The Liberty Papers »Blog Archive » Voting — Americans Do It Like They Eat — September 12, 2008 @ 5:17 am
  4. [...] here, a YouTube clip of Craig Ferguson discusses the election. Most of his rant is spot-on (and [...]

Pingback by The Unrepentant Individual » Voting — Americans Do It Like We Eat — September 12, 2008 @ 5:18 am
  5. I just like to agree with Craig about his thoughts of what we who live in America has a duty to vote and don’t use our constitutional right to given to vote and participate in what sor to of gorvernment who rules over us we are being unthankful for the blood that is being shed today and in previous generations to buy you the opportunties to make a choice. Our veterans of all the wars which have been fought all over the world also shed their blood for our freedom. IF we don’t want to participate in our rights as a citizen, you are wasting all those peoples lives. So IF you don’t vote one way or other you have no right to complain about the conditions that continue to plague our country. So get informed, like Craig says, do research, ask questions listen to the people running for office and choose the one that YOU think can give our country a better future. Freedom isn’t free, so don’t squander what those who came before us gave to keep us free and do your DUTY.

Comment by Malia — September 15, 2008 @ 1:40 am
  6. I thought Craig Ferguson expressed pretty well, what so many voters are feeling right now! Frustration in sorting through all of the mud slinging, when what we need to hear is what each candidate stands for and what they would propose to do if elected! AND, the process should be treated with more respect, rather than a circus atmosphere! It IS a duty and a privilege, paid for with blood, to inform ourselves as best we can and cast our votes! It does matter. Thanks

Comment by refrock — September 15, 2008 @ 10:37 am
  7. P.S. I found it refreshing and stirring to hear Craig’s sincere perspective as a new citizen! Maybe we should all have to go through the process of gaining citizenship to impress us with what it means.

Comment by refrock — September 15, 2008 @ 10:44 am
  8. Malia,

You might want to tone down the hysteria… most wars fought by U.S. soldiers had little if anything to do with defending freedom at home.

Did the U.S. troops who slaughtered tens of thousands of Philipinos defend freedom? How about the guys in China? Was Commodor Perry defending freedom when he sailed into Tokyo Harbor with his gunboats? What about the 50,000+ who died trying to prop up an unpopular, corrupt postcollonial government in Vietnam? In World War I, were U.S. soldiers sent to redraw the borders of Europe along Woodrow Wilson’s ethnically based lines defending U.S. freedom? How about the U.S. army campaigns against Indians and runaway slaves in Florida – I guess killing runaway slaves is defending freedom. the pogroms against the Indians on the Great Plains? Defending freedom too?

The founding fathers were right: a standing army is inimical to liberty – not a defender of it.

Comment by tarran — September 17, 2008 @ 4:56 am
  9. I normally love Craig Ferguson, and he did have some great stuff to say, but he lost me, too, with the “duty” part.

Personally, I think that it’s the people who DO vote who shouldn’t complain (I will maintain that they have a right to), because they made their choices between one dictator or another. I refuse to choose between two evils, therefore I have a “right” to complain about both of them. If I refuse on principle to participate in this sham called “democracy,” that is also my right, and what I consider my duty, because I do not want to play a role in perpetuating this corrupt system.

Comment by Emily — September 17, 2008 @ 3:57 pm