“The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.”     P. J O'Rourke

January 20, 2009

The Very, Very Creepy Pledge to Our Lord and Savior Barack Obama

by Stephen Gordon

“I pledge to be a servant to our president…”

As Mike noted, several people (Radley Balko, Will Wilkinson, Jonah Goldberg) posted a YouTube video (which seemed to have gone down memory hole already) described by Michael Goldfarb as…

…a bunch of B-, C-, and D-list celebrities, and Michael Strahan, resolving to take time out of their busy schedules of pilates and facials to end slavery, hunger, and Alzheimers — and to be a “servant” to our new president. That or a lot of slaves, hungry people, and confused seniors just got punked.

In tracking down the links, it appears that Ashton Kutcher posted an article at Huffpo on the 17th.

“A wise friend once told me that every time you serve someone else you take on all of their good traits,” writes Kutcher. “Maybe this explains the outstanding character of Barack Obama. He is a servant to this country and he has inspired me to adopt his spirit and to serve him with that dream of a great America in tow.”

We call it a Presidential Pledge. We have gathered a group of individuals who share the courage to pledge to our president, and the world at large, what it is that they are willing to do, give, or sacrifice, in an effort to help their fellow man…   …I encourage everyone to take a few moments to reflect on how they can serve our great nation and to create their own Presidential Pledge at http://www.myspace.com/presidentialpledge.

The video may still be found on above-referenced Myspace page and it’s embedded below.

“Obama is the new Scientology!?,” writes Wilkinson.

Balko refers to the “creep factor” while Goldberg notes “I know that liberals would mock anything remotely like this if it were tied to a Republican president.”

The final seconds of the video (starting at 3:53) may reveal the true nature of their desires: they wish to assimilate us into the collective of Borg Obama.

MySpace Celebrity and Katalyst present The Presidential Pledge

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2009/01/20/the-very-very-creepy-pledge-to-our-lord-and-savior-barack-obama/trackback/

1. Something I hadn’t connected before was that most of the crap they mentioned was fairly non-political stuff (serving their new overlord aside). They couldn’t smile at their neighbor or not flip people off while driving or work to end (insert celebrity cause of the month here) the past 8 years?

Comment by mike — January 20, 2009 @ 11:48 am
  2. Why are these things ONLY NOW a good idea? Did it never occur before to any of them that feeding starving children or ending slavery might be appropriate?

This is creepy. Creepy and depressing.

Comment by SKE — January 20, 2009 @ 12:00 pm
  3. I PLEDGE MY ALLEGIANCE to the defense of life, liberty, and property.

I PLEDGE to defend my country and her citizens against the government.

I PLEDGE that I will not fall for the idol worship of Barack Obama.

Comment by Stephen Littau — January 20, 2009 @ 12:04 pm
  4. Whats amazing to me is that this is the very definition of fascism; and yet they don’t understand, appreciate, or even see it.

Comment by Chris Byrne — January 20, 2009 @ 12:47 pm
  5. I pledge not to support them with my money so they have to find real jobs.

Comment by uhm — January 20, 2009 @ 1:01 pm
  6. I’m on dial-up and cannot watch the video. Whats the fuss about?

Comment by Stephen — January 20, 2009 @ 5:07 pm
  7. Stephen,

It’s fairly simple, but you’d have to watch it to appreciate the creepiness. A bunch of Hollywood types (at the end of the video) seem pretty borg-like immediately after someone says “I pledge to be a servant to our president…”

Comment by Stephen Gordon — January 20, 2009 @ 5:49 pm
  8. Stephen, jsut to give you a sense of the lunacy, the guy that comes on at about 2:30 promises that he will no longer flush the toilet afterr peeing in it, but only after he poops in it.

Seriously. It’s very weird.

Comment by tarran — January 20, 2009 @ 5:56 pm
  9. They forgot to add, in perfect unison, that they all pledge to think for themselves.

Comment by Akston — January 20, 2009 @ 6:22 pm
  10. Reminds me a bit of this.

Comment by Akston — January 20, 2009 @ 6:33 pm
  11. oh yeah, one here’s one more:

Comment by Stephen Littau — January 20, 2009 @ 7:08 pm
  12. I forgot all about that scene Akston! There’s so much wisdom in the humor of Monty Python. I’ll have to watch that one again somethime soon…so I can “look on the bright side of life.”

Comment by Stephen Littau — January 20, 2009 @ 7:13 pm
  13. Thanks, y’all. Now I’m whistling the “bright side of life” tune and I CAN’T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD!

Video here

Comment by Stephen Gordon — January 20, 2009 @ 7:19 pm
  14. I PLEDGE not to take anything seriously that comes out of the mouth of a celebrity (with the exception of Penn Jillette, Drew Carey, and a small handfull of celebrities who are guided by reason rather than emotion).

Does Doug Stanhope belong on this list, as well? :)

Comment by Stephen Gordon — January 20, 2009 @ 7:21 pm
  15. Yeah, I think I’d add Doug Stanhope to the list.

BTW, I never welcomed you to The Liberty Papers so…welcome to The Liberty Papers! I have really enjoyed your writing so far.

Comment by Stephen Littau — January 20, 2009 @ 8:33 pm
  16. Thanks, Stephen. And you’ve got the coolest first name in the world! :)

Comment by Stephen Gordon — January 20, 2009 @ 8:43 pm
  17. [...] left for The Messiah Barack Obama is not just creepy, it’s downright scary.  10 days ago, I wrote that the Democrats “wish to assimilate us into the collective of Borg Obama.”  I [...]

Pingback by The Liberty Papers »Blog Archive » The Borg Obama vs. Cardassian Republicans — January 30, 2009 @ 12:03 pm