“Seems to be a deep instinct in human beings for making everything compulsory that isn't forbidden.”     Robert A. Heinlein,    The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

January 26, 2009

Bailouts Are Not Sexy

by Stephen Gordon
Photo credit TopNews.in

Photo credit TopNews.in

Extreme obesity could be defined as an abnormally large accumulation of body fat. Consequences of obesity include illness, disability and death. While treatment options vary (i.e. dieting, liposuction, medications, surgery), increasing caloric, fatty or carbohydrate intake clearly isn’t the correct solution. In other words, you aren’t going to shed 10,631,467,593,243.45 pounds by consuming a 7,940,000,000,000.00 calorie cake.

Marie Antionette was known as Madame Déficit because the “people blamed her for the bad economics in the country and claimed that she alone was the one to have spent all the money on her own pleasures.”

The still controversial statement “let them eat cake” is often attributed to Antoinette. It seems that both the previous and current administrations and Congresses want to distribute bread to the masses while bailing out (or even nationalizing) the major corporate bakeries. Unfortunately, local mom-and-pop bakeries aren’t “too big to fail,” so many of them will indeed fail because of the political preference for corporate courtiers. History is filled with examples of financial crises caused by excessive government spending.  History is indeed repeating itself now, as it also did during the reign of Louis XVI.

In the meantime, corporate welfare is neither sexy nor healthy. Why the mainstream media refuses to paint an accurate picture of our federal extravagance is beyond me. Hopefully, this photograph will help illustrate the fact that the only thing a stimulus package will ever stimulate is an ever-increasing appetite for even more stimulus packages.

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2009/01/26/bailouts-are-not-sexy/trackback/

1. Gordo,

That is so f-ing sick I’m going to have to skip lunch.

Good job. Keep it up. :)

Comment by SaraLee — January 26, 2009 @ 10:57 am
  2. Oh hell, man… That was uncalled for. I’ve got half a mind to time-stamp your post to last week so I don’t have to see it any more!

(Yes, I do understand that your photo is a near-perfect representation of our federal government, right down to the rapidly-approaching coronary failure.)

Comment by Brad Warbiany — January 26, 2009 @ 11:17 am
  3. This is a vile, discriminatory picture and completely uncalled for.

Comment by registered nurse — January 26, 2009 @ 12:44 pm
  4. RN,

Who does the picture discriminate against: skinny people, attractive women, or those who oppose/favor government waste?

Comment by Stephen Gordon — January 26, 2009 @ 12:52 pm
  5. Nice you are considerate enough to blur out the eyes… that way, no one would recognize her if she was in her motorized wheelchair at the supermarket.

Comment by Dave C — January 26, 2009 @ 12:59 pm
  6. registered nurse and Dave C – Mr. Gordon does the thing in Alabama. He always tries to make the state government look greedy whenever we try to get more funding for school teachers or infrastructure.

Comment by Alabama Democrat — January 26, 2009 @ 2:40 pm
  7. AD,
    If I were to take my paycheck, pay the minimum on 8 maxed out credit cards (had to get the widescreen TVs and the projector, movie collection, couple of Blu-Ray players and a Wii of course), pay my $350 cable bill with lots of PPV and every premium channel there is, buy two of my friends Chia pets and another friend a lifetime supply of Super Shammys (I’m buds with the guy who invented the Super Shammy, after all), purchase a large collection of Betamax movies and Atari 2600 games from my neighbor at a garage sale, and then retreat to my large, opulent home where every light is on, would you give me an extra $500 because I was out of money and I promised to spend it on food for my kids? No? Well, then, you have no compassion for me or for my hungry children, do you?

If my state doesn’t have money to hire competent teachers and pave the roads, they shouldn’t start looking in my pocket. They should start looking at the ridiculous graft, fraud, waste, abuse, cronyism, and the grotesque lack of controls, accountability, and fiscal discipline in their own house. I’m betting Alabama is not much different.

Comment by DW — January 26, 2009 @ 2:58 pm
  8. Gordo,

Pay them no mind. You made a very important point about the ugliness of government spending.

::bats sexy long brown eyelashes::

The detractors are probably insecure and just “hate her for her looks”.

Comment by SaraLee — January 26, 2009 @ 3:33 pm
  9. Dave C,

re: Nice you are considerate enough to blur out the eyes… that way, no one would recognize her if she was in her motorized wheelchair at the supermarket.

Gotta call bullshit on this one. Either she 1) posed for the picture VOLUNTARILY or 2) was surprised when she was caught sitting around in panties and bra VOLUNTARILY eating an entire freaking cake.

Being recognized in a grocery store is the least of her problems.

Comment by SaraLee — January 26, 2009 @ 3:36 pm
  10. He has no compassion and doesn’t care for people at all. He just wants to get rid of government spending. He even wrote about getting rid of Medicare and Medicaid today on another right-wing blog.

I have plenty of compassion and am helping someone out right at this very moment. My current mechanism of helping out is to pay someone who needs the money for doing some work around my house.

It seems your idea of compassion is to stick a government gun to my head and force me to pay for bloated salaries, mismanaged infrastructure and corporate bailouts.

BTW, this isn’t a right-wing blog. It is a libertarian blog. I’m assuming you are speaking of this article, where I stated that Democrats seem to have the upper edge in formulating a winning strategy to impose socialized universal healthcare on all of us.

With which part did you disagree? When I say that Dems will shove UHC up our posterior ends or when I said the GOP doesn’t have big enough cajones to stop them?

Comment by Stephen Gordon — January 26, 2009 @ 3:46 pm
  11. [...] Stephen Gordon: He has no compassion and doesn’t care for people at all. He just wants to get rid of government… [...]

Pingback by The Liberty Papers »Blog Archive » Rush Limbaugh Proposes $540 Billion Corporate Welfare Package — January 26, 2009 @ 5:45 pm