“Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surely curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.”     Robert A. Heinlein

January 26, 2009

Dumbass and Authoritarians Among Us

by Stephen Littau

Here are a few choice comments in response to a recent post where I argued that Ramos and Compean should not receive presidential pardons. I was aware that this was a very unpopular position to take (even among libertarians) but I was stunned and disturbed by the tone of some of the comments. I’ll let these comments speak for themselves.

It is my hope, to all you ACLU types, that an illegal drug running pimp dosn’t stop at your place of residence. After all the drug lord was only looking to put food on his families table.

Who cares if he was shot in the A$$, once again what does that prove. It proves he was shot in the A$$. So what!!! You insane pot smokin, red diaper doper babies would take the illegals side. After all his culture is far superior to ours. Why wouldn’t we want him and his countries poverty, corruption, sewage fertalizer, rampid drunk driving, rapes, and MS 13 here. It would make things so much better here. We have gone from the melting pot to the chamber pot thanks to all you ilk.

Comment by Michael — January 8, 2009 @ 3:59 pm

oh..and…too bad they didn’t blow the slimeball’s brains out! The ONLY crime Ramos and Campeon are ‘guilty’ of is not being better shots! How about this: Give them raises, Give them promotions, and teach them to shoot STRAIGHTER!

Comment by Petra — January 17, 2009 @ 10:01 pm

WAAAAA Get over it, they should have killed the dam drug dealer, They did make a mistake but with the Green card the DEMOCRAPS gave to Davila to yet again bring drugs to the USA again, not as an illegal but as a resident alien, wich is worse? I dont get you guys. No drug dealer is ever without a weapon of some sort.

In cases where there are drugs in the quantities like this case, “judge, jury, and executioner” is fine with me.

Comment by John — January 19, 2009 @ 7:22 pm

Brian, I’m guessing you work in a very safe, predictable environment, free from any real dangers. I know I do. That is why I can’t imagine what these BP agents go through on a daily basis.

There are very real dangers they face every day, and that certainly colors their world and perception of interfacing with other people. I personally am relieved that Pres Bush has commuted their sentences, and like a previous poster, am saddened only that he did not fully pardon them. They ARE heroes. They protect our country daily from scum bag, law breaking thugs that don’t care one bit for a civilzed society complete with rules and humanity.

Against the law to shoot unarmed criminals?!? So every criminal out there that can outrun the police should be allowed to just “run away” from authority to freedom, just because he doesn’t carry a gun? Ridiculous. That’s ok though, because I know there are BP agents out there along with thousands of other brave soldiers of freedom protecting our borders who continue to do their jobs to keep us safe, despite whiny verbally abusive pansies like you sitting in your safe little world sipping your cosmopolitans and spewing liberal rhetoric around like so much poison.

By the way, if you want to call me to talk politics, you won’t need to “press 1? for English. This is America; English IS OUR LANGUAGE. If you want any other language, go the Hell back to your own country!

Comment by Dennis — January 19, 2009 @ 10:47 pm

I say shoot these lazy bastards [illegal immigrants] BEFORE they infect us. What’s the problem with that? I don’t see any. And YES, pot is illegal. I don’t care how innocuous you think it may be to smoke it – it’s ILLEGAL. And smuggling it into the country is illegal and needs to be answered with any force necessary to stop it. BTW, I think many drugs that are now illegal should be legal, but until they are anyone who knowingly is involved with ANY aspect of drug use or trafficking does not deserve any sympathy or benefit of the doubt. He drove a truck into our country with 750 lbs of marijuana in it. That’s a fact and he’s an idiot. I wish the BP agents would have been a better shot and made a fatal shot.

Comment by Dennis — January 20, 2009 @ 5:26 am

Here was another response, this time to the follow-up post I wrote after President Bush commuted Ramos and Compean’s sentences.

Yet another example of the idiotic media “journalists” who publish opinion as fact. You disgust me. Here’s hoping you also have a “close encounter” with the drug smuggling illegal MY U.S. border patrol agents shot.

Comment by Daphne — January 20, 2009 @ 7:06 am

Apparently I’m not the only one at The Liberty Papers who attracts authoritarian loons. Stephen* Gordon had one commenter who doesn’t seem to be too concerned about the possibility that average Americans’ Fourth Amendment rights were routinely violated during the Bush Administration:

I’m always amused by those who fret over privacy. Just exactly what are these people afraid of? What could the Feds possibly learn that they would even care about? Do people really believe that those overworked surveilance people have the slightest interest in what some yokel in Kansas is doing? Paranoia seems to almost a national disease in this country. No wonder we can’t compete in the world – we’re worried about meaningless crap and ignore what’s important.

Comment by kent beuchert — January 22, 2009 @ 1:03 pm

So you may ask: “So you have some nutty people posting nutty comments on your posts…what’s the big deal?” The big deal is that these people vote in elections and serve on juries! Is it really any wonder we find ourselves losing more and more of our liberties? This is the mentality we are fighting against.

On a more positive note, there were also some very well-reasoned arguments by others who responded to these posts. “Brian” (from the first post) was relentlessly attacked for defending the crazy notion that suspects should be considered “innocent until proven guilty.” It’s my hope that there are a few more Brians out there than this small sample of random, (mostly) anonymous, fools.

*Maybe it has something to do with the first name?

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2009/01/26/dumbass-and-authoritarians-among-us/trackback/

1. I remain amused that paranoid types waste their energies thinking that someone in Washington gives a damn about their boring lives. No wonder this country can’t compete – look at the activities that consume these people. Believe me, folks, no one gives a shit about your activities,
    not even most of those who know you. How about a dose of reality and a little less energy hunting down non-existent Federal peeping Toms. What govt would spend money paying any attention to your pathetic and boring lives.? Even your outrage is
    mind-numbingly boring and insignificant. Get a life.

Comment by kent beuchert — January 26, 2009 @ 1:57 pm
  2. Kent,

Have you ever read ‘1984’? Just wondering.

Comment by Stephen Littau — January 26, 2009 @ 2:02 pm
  3. Kent, do you believe the founders were paraniod when they included the Fourth Amendment in the Bill of Rights?

Comment by Stephen Littau — January 26, 2009 @ 3:28 pm
  4. Stephen,

They get just as bad from the left as they do from the right. Simply read the post underneath this one.

Comment by Stephen Gordon — January 26, 2009 @ 5:01 pm
  5. I find the problem with arguing 4th amendment with the right is similar to arguing economic intervention and government schooling with the left: The person advocating for the government power typically has in mind their guy wielding the power. The corollary to this is they equate bad outcomes from simply having the wrong person in the job — if we just had a smarter, more caring person, this would not happen. But the problem is that, given incentives of these jobs and how folks are selected for them, knaves inevitably occupy them. Which is why we limit (or used to limit) their power.

So a reasonable test everyone should apply before advocating for a particular government power is “would I feel comfortable if the state official wielding this power were my mortal political enemy?”

One only has to skim the Federalist papers to know that the folks who wrote the Constitution were tremendously paranoid (though not paranoid enough — Jefferson had to come along later and help clean things up with the Bill of Rights). I think throughout the process of framing the Constitution they constantly were thinking things like “am I comfortable that even if an unrepentant monarchist wishing to re-establish a titled nobility in America were elected to high office, his ability to muck things up would be limited?”

Ask conservatives in Arizona if they are comfortable with Sheriff Joe Arpaio, and they will say sure. But then ask them if they would be comfortable with, say, Nancy Pelosi or Al Sharpton in that job wielding similar power with similar (ie few) checks, and they would likely blanch.

Comment by coyote — January 26, 2009 @ 6:30 pm
  6. Stephen, you don’t have to tell me. We’ve been dealing with 8 years of BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome) from the reactionaries from the left. I have a feeling that ODS will be just as bad from the reactionaries on the right.

Coyote, that’s a very good point. Now that we have a Democrat as president, I bet we’ll see more people on the right call for limits on executive power and we will no longer hear about how we shouldn’t be critical of the commander in chief “in a time of war”. Those on the left will decide that executive power isn’t so bad since their guy is in office.

I also know exactly what you mean in regard to that media whore Sherriff Joe Arpaio; I lived in Maricopa County for 9 years and never voted for him once.

Comment by Stephen Littau — January 27, 2009 @ 11:52 am
  7. [...] his reaction, Salter is probably lucky this police officer didn’t blow his head off. I’m sure the Ramos and Compean boot lickers and badge worshippers would have had no problem with such a hasty reaction by a police officer. Share and [...]

Pingback by The Liberty Papers »Blog Archive » Wisconsin Police Woman Endangers Family — February 9, 2009 @ 11:49 am