“Americans are so enamoured of equality they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.”     Alexis de Tocqueville

May 24, 2009

Let’s get some freedom watched on Fox News

by Stephen Gordon

A bunch of us are trying to get Judge Andrew Napolitano’s online program Freedom Watch into a televised slot at Fox News. According to an e-mail I received from Judge Napolitano’s colleague Shelly Roche, the Fox producers are telling her the two most important things we can do are “flooding Fox with emails and showing high view counts on the videos.”

If you don’t blog, but would like to see more libertarians on national television, please quickly e-mail Fox and let them know you’d like to see the Judge get his own TV slot.

If you’ve got a blog, you can help out even more. Details are here.

Permalink || Comments (11) || Categories: Media
TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2009/05/24/lets-get-some-freedom-watched-on-fox-news/trackback/

1. What’s the point? Fox is already libertarian.

Let’s review:

Glenn Beck – raging LIBERTARIAN
    Neal Cavuto, Fox VP – libertarian
    Alexis Gilmore, Fox Business Pres. – self-described “libertarian”
    Greta – friend of Alaska’s libertarian Gov. Sarah Palin
    Hannity – 90% libertarian, and best friends with hardcore libertarian Neal Boortz
    Greg Guttfield or Red Eye – Self-described “conservative” but actually a flaming libertarian who regularly has libertarian guests on like Nick Gillespie

And, this is real important, Fox has a new columnist, not sure if you all have noticed on the Fox website. His column? “Cowboy Libertarian.”

Getting a libertarian cable news station to go “libertarian,” seems a bit redundant.

Comment by Eric Dondero — May 24, 2009 @ 4:02 pm
  2. Eric,

Are you kidding me?! Glenn Beck? Neal Cavuto? Greta Van Susteren? Sarah freakin’ Palin?!! Hannity?!?!?!?! Boortz, I’ll grant (provisionally at least), but that has nothing to do with whether or not Freedom Watch should become a show on Fox.

I honestly think you may be a bit confused. May I ask what you consider to be the differences between conservative, neoconservative, and libertarian?

Comment by Steve Douglas — May 24, 2009 @ 5:23 pm
  3. Steve, are you kidding me???!!! Freedom Watch a “libertarian” show?

Maybe a leftwing libertarian show, but straight out libertarian NOT!

Where’s the discussion of the threat this country faces from Islamo-Fascism?

All I hear on that show is ACLU garbage, “Oh, golly gee, the evil Bush Administration… Imagine that, they were actually trying to protect us from Islamic Terrorists, blah, blah, blah…”

Granted, the show is good on issues such as Drug Legalization, but even on Civil Liberties matters, where’s the discussions of Nanny-State issues like Seat Belt laws, 21-year old Drinking Age, Smoking Bans?

Of course, they can’t talk of those issues, cause those are areas where Democrats are attacking our Freedoms. And we all know how entirely politically incorrect it is, for leftwing libertarians to criticize the Dems.

Comment by Eric Dondero — May 25, 2009 @ 6:21 am
  4. I’m starting to think Dondero just might be one of the most successful trolls on the various libertarian blogs.

Comment by MTB — May 25, 2009 @ 12:29 pm
  5. Why is it that someone who is disagreement is now considered a troll?

Comment by VRB — May 26, 2009 @ 2:33 am
  6. From my very brief history as an observer/poster on this site over the past month or two (I became aware of it via Brad, from a college football site we both frequent, having the same alma mater), I would venture a guess that I am on the opposite end of the political spectrum on most issues from VRB.

But I am with VRB 100% on this one.

I read a lot of pieces mocking the GOP for being so fractured – and all those the labels – Neocons, SocialCons, CrunchyCons, Rinos, etc. But it sure seems to me that Libertarians have their own set of problems with internal infighting on what Libertarianism “really” means, and internal intolerance for a different outlooks which certain “purists” deem to be “impure.”

Comment by southernjames — May 26, 2009 @ 5:22 am
  7. According to Wikipedia:

“In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.”

Comment by Stephen Littau — May 26, 2009 @ 6:14 am
  8. And how, exactly, does his post claiming that Fox is already Libertarian, and listing examples of Fox personalities who he claims are Libertarian, fall into your Wikipedia definition?

Unless you are arguing that he is NOT a troll.

I can’t tell from your post.

Comment by southernjames — May 26, 2009 @ 6:27 am
  9. James, although he’s very slick about it, Eric Dondero is definitely a troll. He posts things that are “controversial or inflammatory” and he almost certainly, it would appear to me, do so with the intennt of disrupting the “on-topic discussion”. He has done this quite successfully for years on a wide variety of libertarian oriented blogs and websites.

Comment by Eric — May 26, 2009 @ 9:54 am
  10. James, I’m not arguing one way or the other. I’m only trying to define what the term troll means (it wasn’t a term invented here).

I don’t think anyone should take offence to the term; I have been known to be a troll at other blogs. Actually, I would argue that trolls are a good thing (provided that the comment policy is followed). None of us want TLP to become an echo chamber.

Comment by Stephen Littau — May 26, 2009 @ 9:55 am
  11. I guess it should come as no surprise that libertarians are seldom in lock-step on any particular topic. One would hope that for the term to have any meaning, that core issues of liberty would be the main area of overlap.

Libertarians I’ve met through the years tend to have divergent opinions on issues like abortion, religion, national defense strategies, and immigration. All of these issues are either based on some philosophical precursor which needs discussion before liberty comes into play, are completely unrelated to liberty in their base premises, or are related to other existing conditions which would color the results of implementing libertarian politics. I have had discussions with fervent libertarians on both sides of all these issues.

Those discussions are sometimes, um…lively.

But the core view of minimal government, personal responsibility, the value of free markets, and a rejection of collectivism seem ever-present.

Of course, other self-identifying libertarians might have a different take.

As for Liberty Watch, I’d deem it libertarian by my standards, and would love to see it and more shows like it aired on mainstream television. Whether the larger audiences agree or disagree, at least they’d actually hear the ideas.

Comment by Akston — May 26, 2009 @ 5:22 pm