“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand.”     Milton Friedman

July 10, 2009

Yo Meghan, the revolution already started. Where have you been?

by Stephen Gordon

Meghan McCain writes:

I understand that my place within the Young Republicans and the Republican Party is a controversial one, which is something I am still trying to get comfortable with. I am criticized almost daily for not being “conservative enough.” But the Republican Party needs to reach out to all kinds of voters. The last time I checked, most conservatives are already Republicans. It’s the independents that we need to sway. We need to make them believe we really do practice what we preached about less government, less spending, national security, etc, and we aren’t recruiting leaders who are old and out of touch.

This is interesting to me, because a few weeks ago, I went to a Young Republicans event in Birmingham. The following night, I cohosted a Liberty on the Rocks event in the same town. Both were on weekday nights, held in popular bars with decent food not too far away from each other, the weather was about the same (hot and muggy, of course), but quite a few more folks were at the latter event.  There were more Ron Paul voters at the LOTR event than voters for all of the GOP presidential candidates combined at the YR event.  To add fuel to the fire, there were even some Ron Paul supporters I know at the YR event.

From a libertarian perspective, both Meghan and her father have come out positively on a few issues, such as torture and gay rights. She made some comments about racism in her article with which libertarians will approve. With respect to less government and less spending, they’d both do well to spend a few hours around the good doctor from Texas. I don’t know if there is anything which can be done about the McCain impulse to go to war with little provocation, but I can easily set her up with some noted conservative/libertarian authors and politicans who would be willing to take the time to discuss the issue with her.

“What Young Republicans need is a revolution,” she writes.

In case she somehow missed the word, having been busy on the campaign trail and all, there already is one:

revolution

TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2009/07/10/yo-meghan-the-revolution-already-started-where-have-you-been/trackback/

1. The Republicans are going to have to do more than talk after 8 years of Cheney/Bush.

Comment by Raymond — July 10, 2009 @ 8:11 pm
  2. This kicked ass.

Idiottes like Busty might do well to stop saying “me” for a sec and consider: If the square peg don’t fit in the round hole… why should it?

Survival Of The Fittest, Meghan. It’s a Concept. Look it up.

Comment by Xanadu Xero — July 10, 2009 @ 8:41 pm
  3. Actually, they’ve taken the completely opposite view on both those issues:

Pro-Islamo-fascist
    Pro-Special Rights for Gays

Geez Steve, you need to start learning what libertarianism is all about. You don’t seem to have a clue.

Comment by Eric Dondero — July 11, 2009 @ 10:08 am
  4. I don’t know if his age would be an issue. In today’s politics, it’s always about the stupidest of things. But I’ve got a gut-feeling … Ron Paul could be elected in 2012.

The economy will be a disaster, a good portion of the conservative electorate is growing increasingly hostile towards the GOP, and come 2012 (as is now), he’s gonna be the only guy who got anything right!

The roadblocks are few, but still significant though …

The RNC has a history of viciously attacking limited-government politicos. The State-Run Media loves Big Government. And in my reading of the average Republican constituents opinion of Paul – Not a single one, understands what he’s really all about. Instead, they believe the most ridiculous gossip they can find.

I’m no pro-political operative, but I was talking with an older guy about Paul a few days ago, and his fear is that “people will fear a government that’s too small” (it’s always about ‘other people’). So I asked him his thoughts on Mr. Republican himself, Taft. Immediately he said, Taft is a guy that could win today!

So I answered of course, “There you go. You just told me Ron Paul could win.”

Just a thought.

Comment by theCL — July 11, 2009 @ 12:22 pm
  5. Eric,

What “special rights” for gays ?

Any “libertarian” who doesn’t support marriage equality isn’t worthy of the name.

Comment by Doug Mataconis — July 14, 2009 @ 3:32 am