“The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.”     Ayn Rand,    The Smallest Minority

September 14, 2009

Monday Open Thread

by Brad Warbiany

Possible discussion point — should we on the libertarian end of the spectrum start more aggressively using the rattlesnake image from the Gadsden Flag? I’m a huge fan, but may not be a representative sample.

politicalcontinuum

UPDATE: Photo originally from this post. The post is itself worth a read.

Permalink || Comments (10) || Categories: Open Thread
TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2009/09/14/monday-open-thread/trackback/

1. [...] Yes! More Stuff I LikeEducation, Health Care Summary [...]

Pingback by Short Answer? | Scott Adcox — September 14, 2009 @ 10:12 am
  2. I think it would be great to use the Gadsden flag… it is recognized as historically relevant even to those outside of the liberty movement.

Comment by Amagi — September 14, 2009 @ 10:19 am
  3. 1. where’s that image from?
    2. the federalist response: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Join,_or_Die

Also, if right-libertarians use the snake, I’m going to start using a mongoose for left-libertarianism! ;]

Comment by Sam M-B — September 14, 2009 @ 10:22 am
  4. I like it. I say hell yes.

Comment by Stephen Littau — September 14, 2009 @ 10:38 am
  5. Sam,

1) I don’t know where it originated. I am hosting it locally, but if you click it, it links over to Breitbart (but direct to JPG, not to a page w/ any context).

2) Libertarianism is an end, federalism is a means. Federalism might be better than what we have now, but I no more want a state government telling me how to live my life than I want a central government doing the same.

Comment by Brad Warbiany — September 14, 2009 @ 12:06 pm
  6. “I no more want a state government telling me how to live my life than I want a central government doing the same.”

You’re in California, right?

What, is there a problem? :)

Comment by southernjames — September 14, 2009 @ 12:17 pm
  7. Appears in this article:

Comment by Anonymous Coward — September 14, 2009 @ 3:27 pm
  8. There is a long standing fear of snakes in the American populace (due largely to Christianity); an unrecognized reaction [from a deeply ingrained and then probably never questioned story] to an image could be counter productive. ~~~ ‘I don’t know why I dont’t like it-I just don’t’ ~~~

Perhaps a jesus fish, a tai ch’i wheel, an amalgam or something non-dissimilar?

Comment by JamesLloyd — September 14, 2009 @ 3:30 pm
  9. I am Canadian and even prior to moving to the US,I have long known the meaning of the rattlesnake as depicted here. It is entirely suitable.

Comment by Jenn — September 15, 2009 @ 4:15 am
  10. I like the idea. As a symbol, it makes a lot more sense than the other two.

Comment by John222 — September 15, 2009 @ 6:00 am