“We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.”     Milton Friedman

September 14, 2009

Monday Open Thread

by Brad Warbiany

Possible discussion point — should we on the libertarian end of the spectrum start more aggressively using the rattlesnake image from the Gadsden Flag? I’m a huge fan, but may not be a representative sample.

politicalcontinuum

UPDATE: Photo originally from this post. The post is itself worth a read.

Permalink || Comments (10) || Categories: Open Thread
TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2009/09/14/monday-open-thread/trackback/

1. [...] Yes! More Stuff I LikeEducation, Health Care Summary [...]

Pingback by Short Answer? | Scott Adcox — September 14, 2009 @ 10:12 am
  2. I think it would be great to use the Gadsden flag… it is recognized as historically relevant even to those outside of the liberty movement.

Comment by Amagi — September 14, 2009 @ 10:19 am
  3. 1. where’s that image from?
    2. the federalist response: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Join,_or_Die

Also, if right-libertarians use the snake, I’m going to start using a mongoose for left-libertarianism! ;]

Comment by Sam M-B — September 14, 2009 @ 10:22 am
  4. I like it. I say hell yes.

Comment by Stephen Littau — September 14, 2009 @ 10:38 am
  5. Sam,

1) I don’t know where it originated. I am hosting it locally, but if you click it, it links over to Breitbart (but direct to JPG, not to a page w/ any context).

2) Libertarianism is an end, federalism is a means. Federalism might be better than what we have now, but I no more want a state government telling me how to live my life than I want a central government doing the same.

Comment by Brad Warbiany — September 14, 2009 @ 12:06 pm
  6. “I no more want a state government telling me how to live my life than I want a central government doing the same.”

You’re in California, right?

What, is there a problem? :)

Comment by southernjames — September 14, 2009 @ 12:17 pm
  7. Appears in this article:

Comment by Anonymous Coward — September 14, 2009 @ 3:27 pm
  8. There is a long standing fear of snakes in the American populace (due largely to Christianity); an unrecognized reaction [from a deeply ingrained and then probably never questioned story] to an image could be counter productive. ~~~ ‘I don’t know why I dont’t like it-I just don’t’ ~~~

Perhaps a jesus fish, a tai ch’i wheel, an amalgam or something non-dissimilar?

Comment by JamesLloyd — September 14, 2009 @ 3:30 pm
  9. I am Canadian and even prior to moving to the US,I have long known the meaning of the rattlesnake as depicted here. It is entirely suitable.

Comment by Jenn — September 15, 2009 @ 4:15 am
  10. I like the idea. As a symbol, it makes a lot more sense than the other two.

Comment by John222 — September 15, 2009 @ 6:00 am