“It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.”     Voltaire

July 25, 2012

‘Wendy’ Condemns Chick-fil-A President Remarks On Gay Marriage

by Brad Warbiany

Caught this across the wire today:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Wendy’s Spokeswoman ‘Wendy’ Stands With Gay Marriage Supporters

Dublin, Ohio, July 25 2012: Wendy’s corporation found Dave Thomas believed in treating all people, customers, employees, and vendors with the utmost respect. As the woman you see on the sign and in the logo of Wendy’s, it is my belief that Dave would, as I do, support the rights of same-sex couples to marry.

Being ginger, I have faced discrimination my entire life. I’ve been called “firecrotch” and “carrot top”, have endured countless barbs from people such as “you’d better get out of the sun, ginger”, and “they don’t make an SPF high enough for you.” Growing up different from your peers is hard, and when you’re already a cartoon likeness of a human being, to know that you’re a cartoon minority is itself an added struggle.

On behalf of the entire Wendy’s organization, I would like to express our solidarity with all minorities, and our firm commitment to stand beside you as you fight for equality. I would condemn other fast food chains, whether it be their company President or their chicken-hating cows, who would not offer you the same respect.

At Wendy’s, we believe that all loving couples should be afforded the same rights — the right to marry and all the legal protections that accompany the institution. We live in a nation that trumpets freedom and individual rights. It’s time to ensure that we live up to the values we espouse. Besides, I’ve got my eye on that chick from Brave. Rawr!

In addition to her role as corporate mascot, Wendy has been a tireless supporter of minority rights and equality since she was first drawn in 1969.

Contact:
Wendy
wendy@wendys.com
Wendy’s International, Inc.
One Dave Thomas Boulevard
Dublin, OH 43017

###

Permalink || Comments (31) || Categories: Humor
TrackBack URI: http://www.thelibertypapers.org/2012/07/25/wendy-condemns-chick-fil-a-president-remarks-on-gay-marriage/trackback/

1. Now imagine what would happen if a Christian dominated city council had refused Wendy’s a building permit based on such a statement.

Comment by tkc — July 26, 2012 @ 7:22 am
  2. While I don’t agree with Chick-fil-a’s political stance on gay marriage, some of the bullying by certain cities to keep the chain out is wrong. If you disagree with the politics of either Chick-fil-a or Wendy’s the answer is for individuals to vote with their dollars rather than allow the government to do the dirty work.

Personally, I think I will be getting my chicken sandwiches from Wendy’s from now on.

Comment by Stephen Littau — July 27, 2012 @ 6:12 am
  3. Generally being disgusted by fast food, I don’t have this problem.

Comment by tkc — July 27, 2012 @ 10:26 am
  4. Seems like an actual first amendment issue to me: Unpopular speech penalized by local government.

Comment by Akston — July 28, 2012 @ 8:44 am
  5. Exactly, Akston. This is precisely why we have the first amendment.

Comment by Quincy — July 28, 2012 @ 9:54 am
  6. To each his or her own, but that is why I will not eat at Wendys anymore…

Comment by Robin French — July 30, 2012 @ 9:58 am
  7. Wendy’s sucks!

Comment by Boom — July 30, 2012 @ 10:15 am
  8. Of course, I don’t think the last two commenters actually read this, but I should point out something for the daft:

THIS POST WAS SATIRE

The press release did not come from Wendy’s; I made it up. And actually, I learned in my research for the post that Wendy’s cancelled advertising on Ellen Degeneres’ sitcom back when she came out as a lesbian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy's#Advertising), so I had to even stretch the truth QUITE a bit here in the pursuit of humor.

Comment by Brad Warbiany — July 30, 2012 @ 10:43 am
  9. Hey Wendy’s blow it out your ass. Your burgers suck anyway. Square burgers on a round bun, damn that’s weird. You’re overpriced as well. Every burger I’ve ever had from Wendy’s was about as thick as a sheet of notebook paper and cold too. I once found a way to make a bacon burger by going to the salad bar and putting bacon bits on my burger. Damn greedy employee made me stop it unless I paid for a salad too ! Needless to say it’s been 15 years since I’ve been in a stinking Wendy’s. Now that they approve of rump rangers and carpet munchers I made the right choice to stop going there.

Comment by Eddie — July 30, 2012 @ 6:06 pm
  10. I dont get were this a political stand. I believe it is a religious stand and he has the right to freedom of religion and speech. The Bible says at the end times christians will be crucified for their believes so if we say being gay is ok we might as well say murder,adultery and every other sin is too. Also christians are not perfect the only sinless person to live on earth with Jesus he died on the cross for our sins so we may ask for forgiveness when we fall to the temptations of the world.

Comment by rick — July 31, 2012 @ 7:20 am
  11. This becomes a political stand, Rick, whenever it becomes a matter of public policy.

Comment by Stephen Littau — July 31, 2012 @ 10:04 am
  12. Legally, I’d put all this hot-headed stuff off until actual government inertia actually becomes apparent towards Chic-Fil-A.

All we see now are some statements carefully extracted from local Chicago sources. I want to see local or state govts take some kind of hindering action toward the corporation, and comparing these actions with the behavior towards other businesses of the same category/size/scale of their peers. This is before deciding to take action of any discriminatory sort.

On an unrelated note: it’s a shame that something as stupid as gay marraige gets the goad of the Libertarian crowd. Of all things the CEO of this company could have railed against (devaluation of the US Dollar, loss of individual liberty, role of the United States in global policing) — instead this guy chooses (maybe the media chose this?) …gay marraige. I mean really. It’s about gay marraige……………

Despite all the selective hype, who gives a @#$#

Comment by procopius — July 31, 2012 @ 1:56 pm
  13. I agree procopious. The blogosphere, face book, and twitter is going nuts on this Chick-fil-a controversey, meanwhile, stories like this one probably will not get 1/1000 of the coverage nor outrage from people of all political stripes.

Comment by Stephen Littau — July 31, 2012 @ 3:07 pm
  14. “I dont get were this a political stand. I believe it is a religious stand and he has the right to freedom of religion and speech.”

We have a thing called separation of church and State here in America. You are permitted to worship anyone you want however you want to. But you DON’T get to pass laws based on those beliefs and you don’t get to force your beliefs on anyone else. That my friends, is known in other parts of the world as sharia law.
    This isn’t about free speech. It isn’t about freedom of religion. It’s about equal rights.

Comment by Mr. G. — August 1, 2012 @ 5:31 am
  15. “he Bible says at the end times christians will be crucified for their believes so if we say being gay is ok we might as well say murder,adultery and every other sin is too.”

The Bible also says it’s ok to have multiple wives and concubines. So how do you pick and choose what the biblical definition of marriage is?
    It’s easy for homophobes to hide behind their religion. Why not just come out and say you hate gay people?

Comment by Mr. G. — August 1, 2012 @ 5:38 am
  16. I should point out that my last comment wasn’t a criticism of Brad’s post. The above post was written as satire (and it seems that a few readers still don’t understand that this was NOT written by Wendy) to inject a little much needed humor into the conversation.

I must admit though, Brad – you had me going. The address at the end should have tipped me off (One Dave Way).

Comment by Stephen Littau — August 1, 2012 @ 6:22 am
  17. Stephen,

That address *is* the address of Wendy’s corporate HQ!

But yeah, it seems that some commenters missed the satire and the point…

Comment by Brad Warbiany — August 1, 2012 @ 6:31 am
  18. Ok you said it you dont get to force your believes on others. So i dont believe in gay marriage if i said it was ok i would be saying i dont believe in gods law. Im sick and tired along with millions of others of having the crap from liberals shoved at us every day so dont force me or anybody else to say its ok. By the way let me know where thats at in the bible about it being ok to have mutiple wives there’s a reason for the old testament and new testament you might find that in the old. But tell me where its at in the new

Comment by rick — August 1, 2012 @ 11:39 am
  19. Rick:

If you don’t believe in gay marriage, don’t marry someone of the same gender as yourself. See how simple that is?

Not that the bible has any bearing whatsoever on what our laws should be (the Constitution was NOT based on the 10 Commandments) but since you seem to believe the new testament cancels out the old testament concerning “god’s law,” where is there any mention of homosexuality being immoral in the new testament? I’m no biblical scholar by any means but the only reference I’m aware of comes from the old testament (Leviticus, I believe).

Comment by Stephen Littau — August 1, 2012 @ 1:17 pm
  20. Stephen:
    1 Corinthians 6:9 do you not know that wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral,idolaters,adulterers,prostitutes,homosexual offenders,thieves,the greedy,drunkards,slanderers,swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. Im no bible scholar either but i go to church and do know alot about what is happening in the world is in the bible and it says it will happen. Alot of the prophets stories have already happened Israel will become a country again that happened in the 1940s and its people will flock from all over the world and go back to Israel. Christians will be killed for being Christians thats happening today. Luckily not in the USA!! Its all in the bible just saying dont want to cause an argument but when people dont understand the Bible they can take some wacky stuff out of it and say the Bible said its ok. The old testament did have some wacky stuff happening. That was the old law before Jesus today we live by the new testament otherwise we would still stone an adulterer to death.

Comment by rick — August 1, 2012 @ 3:56 pm
  21. @ Mr. G., thank you! “Umm..actually no. This has nothing to do with freedom of speech or freedom of religion.
    People are not upset because Dan Cathy said he was against gay marriage. People are upset because he proudly proclaimed he donates corporate profits to hate groups whose sole purpose is to deny LGBT Americans equal rights.”

That is very close to the same thing I have been telling people on Facebook that continue to argue with me about why this is even an issue.

Comment by Aimee — August 1, 2012 @ 4:17 pm
  22. I do hate being called a carpet muncher but what really piss me off is when people hide behide the hole being gay is a sin. Sex before marriage is a sin, so are shell fish, women questing there husband but it’s ok to have a slave and women on there period need to be treat like outcaseds. Oh and if marriage should be between a loving man and woman to raise kids why do you have arranged marriage that should be a sin and if you use a condom that a sin to becusa everone one knows sex is only about making kids as far as the bible gos so after you start living by those rules your are just a hypocrite

Comment by Amber — August 1, 2012 @ 8:39 pm
  23. Love Chick-fil-A’s sandwhiches (like I do) but don’t want to support their anti-liberty causes? Here’s how to make one of their sandwhiches in your own kitchen: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/07/30/how-to-make-chick-fil-at-home/?intcmp=obnetwork

Comment by Stephen Littau — August 1, 2012 @ 9:23 pm
  24. It’s obviously a fake. No one is going to use “firecrotch” in a press release…well, maybe a Romney staffer (re: saying “kiss my ass” to a reporting).

Dave Thomas was virulently and violently anti-gay, and Wendy’s corporate policy was always anti-gay rights, even donating money to hate groups. After Thomas’s fat ass died, however, and new CEOs took over, Wendy’s corporate policy changed.

Comment by P Smith — August 2, 2012 @ 1:15 am
  25. Amber:
    Dont qoute the Bible if you dont read it or understand what is in it. The bible never says sex is only for children. I dont hide behind the Bible and christians dont hate gays god doesnt hate gays we are taught to love the sinner but not the sin. And by the way there is not a person on earth that doesnt sin. For that reason is why we need church to worship god and to praise him with others to keep us from falling astray to all the worlds temptations. But the Bible also tells you refrain from your sins and do no more. And by the grace of god and believing that jesus died on the cross for our sins is the only way to heaven.

Comment by rick — August 2, 2012 @ 5:46 am
  26. [...] [...]

Pingback by Anonymous — August 2, 2012 @ 9:12 am
  27. [...] [...]

Pingback by Wendy's Supports Chick-Fil-A - Page 12 - US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum — August 2, 2012 @ 9:53 am
  28. Prick – Don’t stupidly assume that non-believers have to obey the buybull. It’s called the buybull because you have to buy the bull to believe it. If you want a theocracy, a country that makes laws out of religion, then go live in Saudi Arabia or Iran.

The buybull advocates and promotes slavery (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT, Exodus 21:2-6 NLT), rape (Judges 21:10-24, Numbers 31:7-18, Deuteronomy 20:10-14), and the murder of children (Ezekiel 9:5-7, Isaiah 13:15-18) among other crimes. You’re all for the buybull because you’re a sociopath who wants to commit such crimes.

Comment by P Smith — August 3, 2012 @ 11:27 pm
  29. 1. Attn: Bible-thumpers: If you haven’t read your Holy Book in the original un-pointed Hebrew and Aramaic, you have no idea what the Bible actually says. Also, if you haven’t read the Talmudic commentaries, or those of other respected Biblical scholars, you’re missing a lot of data that you kind of *need* to speak about what the Bible means with any authority.

2. “Traditional Marriage” is in the eye of the beholder, given that there are huge numbers of *freaky* “marriages” in the Bible, and given that historically marriage was a property, inheritance, procreative, or political arrangement for hundreds or even thousands of years before anyone came up with the notion of “romantic love” having anything to do with it. Moreover, traditionally, it was arranged for the children by the parents. Choosing your own spouse is an extremely modern twist on marriage.

3. Real and measuarable harm is done to LGBT individuals whose partnerships are not recognized by the state. No harm is done to your church if they marry, or if my church chooses to marry them. No harm befalls your family if theirs is united before God, or a judge. No one is going to make gay marriage mandatory.

4. Living your values is Freedom. Forcing others to live your values is Tyranny.

Comment by Rebecca — August 4, 2012 @ 10:25 am
  30. Rebecca’s fucking brilliant… That’s all.

Comment by Nevery — August 4, 2012 @ 12:23 pm
  31. [...] Nevery: Rebecca’s fucking brilliant… That’s all. [...]

Pingback by The Liberty Papers »Blog Archive » Comment of the Day — August 4, 2012 @ 6:37 pm